Smoke control, air quality, light pollution and odour

Use this page to find out about smoke control areas in Leeds, problem bonfires, and issues with air quality, light pollution, dust and smoke.

You can report any of these issues using the Report air or light pollution or odour form.

Smoke control areas

A large number of areas in Leeds are controlled by smoke control orders. You can check whether your house is in a smoke control area by using Where I live. Enter your postcode and if Yes is returned on the results page, there is a smoke control restriction where you live.

Areas not subject to restrictions about what they can burn are usually found in the former industrial parts of the city and some of the more outlying areas.

Fuels and appliances in smoke control areas

The fuels that can be burned in smoke control areas are governed by Defra as is installed equipment. When you purchase a stove or other solid fuel appliance the installer should check where you live and give some guidance on whether the equipment you wish to purchase is appropriate.

Full details of the fuels and appliances can be found on the Defra website.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Light pollution

You can report problems with light pollution using the Report air or light pollution or odour form.​​​​​​​​​ For further information on how councils deal with light pollution please see the website


Smoke control areas do not prevent occasional bonfires or restrict what they can burn. If a bonfire is causing a nuisance you can report this using the Report air or light pollution or odour form.​​​​​​​​​

Air quality monitoring

Leeds City Council monitors the air quality levels in the city and surrounding areas. For more information please visit our air quality monitoring page​​.​






Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.