Students and Housing Benefit

If you are a student this page tells you if you can claim Housing Benefit.

Most students cannot claim Housing Benefit. This applies both during term time and all of the vacations, including the summer vacation.

However, if you are one of the following you can claim housing benefit:

  • lone parents - if you are responsible for a child or young person and do not have a partner
  • pensioners - if you or your partner is aged 60 or over
  • people with Disabilities - providing that you satisfy certain conditions such as getting a disability related benefit
  • students who are getting Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance or Income Related Employment Support Allowance If you are a couple and both you and your partner are students and you have at least one dependant child
  • if you are a couple and one partner is not a student (the non-student partner should make the claim)
  • if you are a student in further education (up to 'A Level' standard) and you are under 21 years of age. A further education student, who turned 21 during the course of study, can also continue to claim up to age of 22
  • if you are a part time student - The law does not define full time or part time courses, so we may need to consult your educational establishment about this or tell us about your course
  • if you are responsible for a foster child who has been formally placed with you by a local authority or a voluntary organisation
  • you are unable to get a grant or loan following an absence from studies due to illness or providing care. This applies only from the date you ceased your studies until the day before resuming the course, and only for a maximum of 1 year
  • trainees on government training for work schemes do not count as students, nor do people on other training courses that do not take place at a college, school or equivalent.

How do I apply?

The rules for student claims are complex, so if you think you are someone described above, please call us on 0113 222 4404 or drop into a one stop centre to discuss the details of your claim.




How can I get proof that I've been exempt from Council Tax?How can I get proof that I've been exempt from Council Tax?<div class="ExternalClassB2BF9724A7F64533B3327F00A6121360"><p>You may want to have proof of exemption for many reasons but most often you may be asked for this by landlords/letting agents as they demand to see it before releasing your bond/deposit.​​​​</p><p>Landlords/Letting agents cannot be held liable for a period you are resident and receiving an exemption from Council Tax. See FAQ number 26 on the web link below for details you can quote to your landlord/letting agent instead of a copy exempt notice.​​​​</p><p>We can only send an exemption notice direct to the property, which will state the dates in which the exemption has applied, though it must be via post so you must request this before you move out.​​​​</p><p>You can request this using the Contact Us form on this page. Please include your name, the address the enquiry relates to and the address you'd like us to post the notice to.​</p>​ <p><a rel="external" href="">Exemption further information</a></p><br></div>



Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?