What a non-dependant is, and how they can affect your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
What is a non-dependant?
A non-dependant is someone who normally lives with you such as an adult son, daughter, relative or friend. Boarders, sub-tenants and joint tenants are not classed as non-dependants.
Can a non-dependant claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support?
No, a non-dependant cannot claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support for any payments they make for their keep.
The money paid by the non-dependant for their household contribution is not treated as your income, instead a fixed deduction is made from your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. The deductions are fixed amounts based on your non-dependant's gross weekly income.
Non-dependant deductions do not apply if you or your partner are:
- registered blind
- receiving attendance allowance
- receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance (at any rate)
- receiving the daily living component of Personal Independant Payment
No deductions are made if the non-dependant is:
- aged under 18
- a full time student
- has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more
- a member of the Armed Forces who is absent while on operations
Non-dependant deductions from 1 April 2017
The amount we will deduct from your claim depends on the income of the non-dependant.
Housing Benefit deductions
Non-dependant aged under 25 and on Income Support or JSA(IB) or ESA(IR) which does not include an amount for the support component or work-related activity component
Non-dependant aged under 25 and on Universal Credit and not in remunerative work
Non-dependant aged 25 or over and on Income Support, JSA(IB) or aged 18 or over and not in remunerative work
Non-dependant in receipt of main phase ESA(IR)
Non-dependant in receipt of Pension Credit or a full time student
Non-dependant working 16 hours or more per week with a gross income of:
- under £135.99 - deduction of £14.80
- between £136.00 - £199.99 - deduction of £34.00
- between £200.00 - £258.99 - deduction of £46.45
- between £259.00 - £345.99 - deduction of £76.35
- between £346.00 - £429.99 - deduction of £86.95
- £430.00 or more per week - deduction of £95.45
Council Tax Support deductions
Non-dependant in receipt of Income Support, State Pension Credit, JSA(IB) or ESA(IR)
Non-dependant aged 18 or over and in receipt of Universal Credit
Non-dependant in Aged 18 or over not in remunerative work
Non-dependant aged 18 and over and in remunerative work and has a gross weekly income of:
- less than £196.94 - deduction of £3.80
- £196.95 to £341.39 - deduction of £7.65
- £341.40 to £424.19 - deduction of £9.65
- greater than £424.20 - deduction of £11.55
0113 222 4404
9am to 5pm (Mon to Fri - automated response at other times)