Local Housing Allowance

If you live in the Leeds area, have a low income and pay rent for your property to a private landlord, you may be able to claim Local Housing Allowance.

You can only make a claim for housing benefit if:

    • You live in supported/exempt accommodation such as a homelessness hostel, a refuge, sheltered housing or accommodation which includes care, support or supervision
    • You are a pensioner
    • You or your partner get a benefit that includes a severe disability premium, or if the benefit ended in the last month, continue to be eligible for a severe disability premium
    • You live in temporary accommodation provided by the council

    You cannot claim if you have savings over £16,000, unless you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

    If none of the above apply to you, you will need to claim Universal Credit.

    More information for Landlords.

    Applying for Local Housing Allowance

    You will need to complete the online benefits e-claim external link. If you need help completing your e-claim, the form includes help buttons which will guide you through the claims process. If you need additional help there are a number of ways you can contact us:

    Call 0113 2224404 to speak to an advisor

    Visit us at any one of our One Stop Centres or Community Hubs and speak to someone face to face

    Alternatively, you can download and print a paper copy of the benefits claim form (PDF, 2.87MB).

    You can get a paper form and hand in a completed form at your local One Stop Centre or Community Hub.

    Local Housing Allowance payments

    The first payment of LHA on a new claim is normally made in the form of a cheque made payable to the landlord and sent to your address. The first payment is usually made this way because it can be for a higher amount than the usual four weekly payment so it makes sure you do not fall into arrears.



Can I get an extra room if my carer stays some nights?Can I get an extra room if my carer stays some nights?<div class="ExternalClassA3A533DFB9A0430CA73B396F21D35E17">You may be able to get extra help. if someone who does not normally live with you, regularly stays overnight to provide care for you because you could not continue to live independently without the care they provide.<br><br> If you think that this applies to you, please contact us and we will look into this further with you.</div>
Can you pay my Local Housing Allowance to someone else?Can you pay my Local Housing Allowance to someone else?<div class="ExternalClass334DE5EC7E674BD3AAE6051CD33C69BA">Payment can be made to:<br><ul> <li>the person who looks after your money or</li> <li>the person with the power of attorney</li></ul> If you want your LHA to be paid directly to someone else who helps you with your finances, you should write to us stating why you feel you cannot pay your rent yourself.</div>
Can my Local Housing Allowance be paid to my landlord?Can my Local Housing Allowance be paid to my landlord?<div class="ExternalClassFF4493857A17440FB82E9E712B1921AA"><p>LHA can be paid direct to your landlord if:<br></p> <ul><li>You have difficulty getting your LHA and paying your rent</li> <li>You are more than eight weeks in arrears with your rent</li> <li>Your landlord has reduced the rent that they would normally charge in exchange for direct payment of your Local Housing Allowance.</li></ul> Tell us if your landlord has reduced your rent to a rent that is affordable for you and you agree that your LHA should be paid direct to your landlord. Payments to landlords can only be made four weekly in arrears.<br><br>More information can be found in the <strong><a href="/docs/Payment%20of%20LHA%20to%20landlords.pdf">Payment of LHA to landlords (PDF45KB)</a></strong> in the <strong>Documents</strong> section.<p> </p></div>
How will Local Housing Allowance be paid?How will Local Housing Allowance be paid?<div class="ExternalClass4A59968B1C5C4DC48ACA91FBE3C72691">You must make arrangements with your landlord how to pay the rent. Most people find that the best way is for us to pay the LHA directly into their bank or building society account. They can then set up a standing order or direct debit to pay their landlord every four weeks. You should be able to open an account either at a bank, building society or at the Leeds City Credit Union to get your LHA. If you are having difficulty opening an account, please let us know as we may be able to help.</div>
Local Housing Allowance RatesLocal Housing Allowance Rates<div class="ExternalClassE75FF3806DB24664A7FE5503F569A0B8"><p>The LHA rates are set each April by the Rent Service who provide the “maximum allowances”. Leeds has two sets of LHA rates <strong><a href="/docs/Leeds%20LHA%20Rates%202017-2018.pdf">Leeds LHA Rates 2017-18 (PDF 277KB)</a></strong> and <strong><a href="/docs/Bradford%20LHA%20Rates%202017-2018.pdf">Bradford LHA rates 2017-18 (PDF 281KB)</a></strong>.​​​​​​​</p><p>LHA rates for 2018-19:</p><table width="100%" class="ms-rteTable-default" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:16.66%;"><strong> </strong><strong>LHA Rates 18/19</strong></td><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:16.66%;"><strong>Shared</strong></td><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:16.66%;"><strong>1 Bed</strong></td><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:16.66%;"><strong>2 Bed</strong></td><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:16.66%;"><strong>3 Bed</strong></td><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:16.66%;"><strong>4 Bed</strong></td></tr><tr><td class="ms-rteTable-default">18/19 Rates (Leeds)</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£62.31</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£100.05</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£122.36</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£149.59</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£195.62</td></tr><tr><td class="ms-rteTable-default">18/19 Rates (Bradford)</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£58.26</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£80.55</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£97.81</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£111.83</td><td class="ms-rteTable-default">£123.58</td></tr></tbody></table></div>
What if my rent increases?What if my rent increases?<div class="ExternalClass67BF521A50694F1DA04D79083550CBD6"><p>You must tell us if your rent changes and send proof of your new rent.​ Please call <strong>0113 222 4404</strong> or email <strong><a href="mailto:lcc.benefits@leeds.gov.uk">lcc.benefits@leeds.gov.uk</a></strong>.</p></div>
What if I already get Local Housing Allowance and change address?What if I already get Local Housing Allowance and change address?<div class="ExternalClass4E9F43FCDF6F46E19F400C3975A6F39D">If the first payment covers only the usual four weekly payment, then it will usually be sent to you. However, if the payment is for an amount greater than four weeks we may pay the first payment to the landlord unless you have provided proof of rent paid up to date.<br><br> After the first payment, payments will normally be made direct to you every four weeks in arrears. However, if it is more convenient for you, you can ask to be paid fortnightly in arrears.</div>
Which rate of Local Housing Allowance will I get?Which rate of Local Housing Allowance will I get?<div class="ExternalClass92B1F9ECA2F54F598F86DAA02D7B5A80">The LHA is based on the number of bedrooms your household needs - not the number of rooms in the property you rent, or the rent that you are charged. If the LHA is less than the rent that you pay you must make up the shortfall. If your rent is less than the LHA that you could get, the most you will get will be your rent.<br><br>You are allowed one bedroom for:<br><br>- each adult couple<br>- any other adult (aged 16 or over)<br>- any two children under 10<br>- any two children of the same sex under 16<br>- or any other child<br><br>For example, a couple with one child would qualify for 2 bedrooms. A single parent with a girl aged 6 and a boy aged 12 would qualify for 3 bedrooms.<br><br>Work out your LHA rate using the <a href="https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx">Local Housing Allowance rate calculator</a>.​</div>
Who is the shared rate paid to?Who is the shared rate paid to?<div class="ExternalClassCC0C2FA7D0F74855BDA3FBEAB60AA9A3">If you are single and under 35 you get the shared accommodation rate of LHA no matter what size property you rent. You will also get the shared rate if you are single and over 35, or a couple without children living in shared accommodation. <br><br> However, if you are a single care leaver under 22, a foster carer, severely disabled, or between 25 and 34 and have been homeless at any time for more than 3 months, you may be able to get the 1 bedroom rate – contact us if you think that this may apply to you. </div>



Bradford LHA Rates 2017-2018https://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Bradford LHA Rates 2017-2018.pdf283721pdf
Leeds LHA Rates 2018-2019https://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Leeds LHA Rates 2018-2019.pdf341462pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?