To view details of your housing benefit or council tax payment, log in to our online portal.
Log in to check your housing benefit claim
Help with paying your rent
You can only make a claim for housing benefit if:
- You live in supported/exempt accommodation such as a homelessness hostel, a refuge, sheltered housing or accommodation which includes care, support or supervision
- You are a pensioner
- You or your partner get a benefit that includes a severe disability premium, or if the benefit ended in the last month, continue to be eligible for a
severe disability premium.
- You live in temporary accommodation provided by the council
If none of the above apply to you, you will need to
claim Universal Credit.
For advice about mortgage payments, please contact the
Department for Work and Pensions.
If your rent includes bills, insurance or meals, Housing Benefit will not cover these costs. The amount of Housing Benefit you get depends on:
- the amount of rent you pay
- your income (and your partner’s income if you have one)
- your savings
- the number of children that live with you
- other people in your household and their income (these are called non dependants and for more information see the related page non dependants)
- if you or someone in your family is ill or has a disability and
- how many bedrooms your family needs
How do you work out how many bedrooms my family needs?
You are allowed one bedroom for:
- each adult couple
- any other adult (aged 16 or over)
- any two children under 10
- any two children of the same sex under 16
- or any other child
Am I eligible for housing benefit?
Before you complete the
online benefits e-claim external link if you would like to get an idea of what you might be entitled to you can use the
benefits calculator external link.
Most students cannot claim Housing Benefit, however, if you are a pensioner, have three or more children or live in supported accommodation you can make a claim.
The rules for student claims can be complex, so if you do need help, please drop into a
one stop centre or call us on
0113 222 4404 for more advice.
Apply for Housing Benefit
Applying for Housing Benefit online takes between 10 minutes and 30 minutes. You can save and return to the application as many times as you need to.
Please ensure that you write down the reference you are given and please ensure that you click the submit button on the final page of the form when you are ready to send it to us.
When claiming Housing Benefit you can also claim Council Tax Support.
Apply online for Housing Benefit
If you already claim housing benefit, you must let us know if you have a
change in your circumstances.
You can download and print a paper copy of the
benefits claim form (PDF 2.87MB).
These are available at one
Hand your completed form in at a one stop centre or return to us by post:
Leeds City Council
P.O. Box 60
If you need help completing your e-claim, the form includes help buttons which will guide you through the claims process. If you need additional help, please visit a
One Stop Centre to speak to an advisor face to face. If you are a council tenant you can also visit your
local housing office for more support.