Changes in Circumstances

If you receive Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Free School Meals you must tell us about any changes in your or your family's circumstances.

This is because it may affect the amount of Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support and Free School Meals you are entitled to.

If you have informed the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs (HMRC) about a change this does not mean that they will pass the information on to us. You must also tell us yourself.

Some of the changes that you must tell us about are:

  • anyone moves in or out of your home
  • you or your partner's wages go up or down
  • you or your partner start working or change jobs
  • any state benefits that you or your partner receive change or stop
  • you or your partner start to receive a state benefit
  • the circumstances of anyone living with you changes
  • you or your partner's private pension goes up or down
  • you or your partner's savings go up or down
  • you or your partner have any other change which may affect your benefit
  • a child being born or a child moving into or out of your property

Tell us if you move

You must tell us if you move address while you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support. You can do this by filling out the relevant form:

Tell us about any other change in circumstance

You can report a change in circumstances using our online form or you can print and complete a Change in circumstances form (PDF 241KB).

You can post your completed form back to us at:

Welfare and Benefits
Communities and Environment
Selectapost 15
Leeds, LS2 8BA

You can also report any changes in circumstances at any One Stop Centre.

When do I have to let you know?

You must tell us about a change as soon as possible. If you do not tell us about a change within one month of it happening, you may lose out on Housing Benefit, or we may pay you too much benefit that you will have to pay back.

Information you need to tell us

You must tell us about the change and the date it happened. You must provide supporting evidence of the change in circumstances.

What happens next?

We will write to tell you if your change in circumstances has changed the amount you are paid. If we have paid too much Housing Benefit (this is called an overpayment) and/or Council Tax Support you will have to pay it back.

For more information see Housing Benefit overpayments and Council Tax Support reductions.

If you disagree with a Housing Benefit overpayment decision you have the right to appeal. See Disputes and appeals for more information.



Change of address form - Council Tenants/Home Owners of Address form for Council Tenants and Home Owners.doc121856doc
Change of address form - Private tenants of Address form for Private Tenants.doc189440doc
Change in circumstances form - Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support of Circumstances Form.pdf246374pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?