Apply for your child to start reception class in September 2019
The online application process for your child to start in Reception at a Leeds Primary school or in Year 3 at a Leeds Junior school in September 2019 has now closed.
Any applications received after Tuesday 15 January 2019 may not be considered until all the on time applications have been dealt with.
If you did not apply online before Tuesday 15 January 2019 and wish your child to start in Reception in September 2019 or in Year 3 at a Junior school, please email email@example.com or phone 0113 222 4414.
If you are not a resident of Leeds (you pay council tax to a different local authority) you will need to apply through your own local authority, even if you wish to apply for a place at a Leeds school.
You can preference up to five schools as part of your application. We recommend that you use all five preferences and read the admissions policies for each of the schools. Individual school admission policy information is available on each school page on
Find a school.
Drop in sessions for parents and carers applying for a reception place for September 2019
City Centre Hub, Merrion House, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds LS2 8LX
- Tuesday 4 December, 10 am to 12 noon
- Monday 17 December, 2pm to 4pm
- Wednesday 9 January, 10 am to 12 noon
Council tax bands for properties in Leeds
|1 November 2018 to 15 January 2019||Apply for a place|
|16 April 2019||Offers go out|
|2 May 2019||First deadline for waiting list requests|
|17 May 2019||Deadline for accepting offers and first cut off for appeal forms|
|May to July 2019||Appeals held|
|May to August 2019||Places allocated from the waiting lists|
|September 2019||Start primary school|
There are different types of schools in Leeds – some use the
Leeds City Council Admissions Policy 2019-20 (PDF, 68KB) whilst others schools use their own policy.
Schools prioritise applications in different ways, with some prioritising based mainly on distance and others based on other criteria such as faith. It is important that you check the admissions policy for the schools you are applying for to understand where on their ranked list of applications your child might be.
Before you apply
Before you apply for a primary school place we advise you to:
- visit the schools you are interested in applying for before making your application to ensure that you are making an informed choice
- read the
Leeds Primary Composite Prospectus (PDF, 4MB) which includes school information and individual school over-subscription criteria. This will help to ensure you include school(s) where your child has a realistic chance of being offered a place
- read the
Find a School page of the schools you are interested in applying for
- speak to staff in school or the Admissions Team to clarify any issues you are not sure about
- consider how your child will get to school and the potential transport costs
Before the closing date
Before the closing date of
15 January 2019 we advise you to:
- read the admissions policies for each of these schools you choose
- complete and return any supplementary information forms directly to schools who require them by the deadline
- if you are applying on behalf of a previously looked after child, complete a
priority 1a Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 389KB) External link
- if you are claiming priority admission due to exceptional medical or mobility needs (priority 1b), check that your preferred school considers exceptional circumstances as part of their admissions criteria, and if so, complete a
priority 1b Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 489KB) External link (SEN SIF)
- attach any applicable supporting evidence to your application
- complete your online application, including up to five preference schools
- ensure that your application form is submitted and that you have received a submission confirmation email