Waiting lists for schools are held until the end of the academic year and have now closed. If you wish to apply for a school place in the 2017/18 academic year please follow the advice below.
If you want to transfer school or are applying other than starting primary or secondary school for the first time you need to apply directly with the school.
Schools search will help you find details of primary and secondary schools in Leeds.
Requesting to transfer schools
- Before you request a transfer, if there are any problems with the school your child is currently attending you should talk these through with the school. Transferring can be very disruptive to a pupil. If you are not happy with the way the school is dealing with the problem you should speak to the Head teacher or the Chair of Governors
- If you wish to transfer, you will need to complete an In Year Common Preference Form (PDF 732 KB). The school you want to transfer to can also supply you with a form. Please return the completed form to the school either in person or by post. During school holidays you can email the form to email@example.com or post to Leeds City Council, PO Box 837, Admissions, Leeds, LS1 9PZ. These will then be sent to the school
- If you are wanting apply to more than one school you only need to approach one school with your completed In Year Common Preference Form (but you can approach more than one school if you wish.)
- If the school is unable to offer you a place your child will automatically be added to the waiting list. If you have included more than one school on the In Year Common Preference Form then the school will return the form to the Local Authority with their decision. The Local Authority will then approach the other schools preferenced.
- If the school is unable to offer you a place your child will automatically be added to the waiting list. In addition, the admissions team will contact you in writing to let you know about other schools in your area and any vacancies at these schools
- You will have the right of appeal to an independent panel for the school you have been refused. If you want more information about the appeals process please visit School appeals
- If you are moving out of Leeds please contact the authorities admissions team for the place you are moving to for advice on transferring schools
- If you wish to add any more preference once you have handed in the In Year Common Prefernece Form you do not need to complete the whole form again just Section 9 and return this to the Admissions team to:
- If you are moving out of Leeds please contact the local authority for the place you are moving to for advice on transferring schools
- If you are moving within Leeds you will need to provide proof that you have moved. A photocopy of the proof should be attached in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acceptable proofs of address are photocopies of:
- Any exit utility bill for the previous property, for example, gas, electricity, water, landline telephone
- A council tax bill for the new property in the parent’s name
- A tenancy agreement for the rented property
- A document stating a house sale has completed (exchange of contracts is not sufficient)
You must apply for a school place using the address where your child lives for the majority of the time.
Some schools including voluntary aided, free schools, academies and trusts are their own admissions authorities and have their own individual admissions policies. You can find these on the individual schools websites or by searching for the relevant school on the Schools search page.