Change your name by Deed Poll

In the UK anyone can change their name if they want to.

If you do change your name, many official bodies may request a Deed Poll (also called a ‘Change of Name Deed’) to prove the change.

Application process

Please use the link to download and print off the application form. You'll need to complete one for each applicant and bring them with you to your appointment.

Along with the completed application form, you'll need to provide evidence of your identity.

When you book your appointment we'll ask you to bring along at least one of the following documents for each applicant:

  • Current valid passport
  • Birth certificate showing the name which is to be changed
  • Proof of current address dated within the last three months for example: driving licence, bank statement, council tax or utility bill
  • Marriage or Civil Partnership certificate
  • Decree Absolute or Civil Partnership dissolution
  • Late spouse or civil partner’s death certificate
  • Court Order or Parental Responsibility Order
  • Naturalisation certificate
  • Photographic ID

All documents provided must be originals (not photocopies) and will be returned to you after we have completed your Deed Poll.


0113 222 4408

Request a call back by email:

A single Deed Poll will cost £50. Additional deeds within the same application (for example relating to other family members) will cost £25 each.

You will be able to buy extra copies of a Deed Poll, costing £25, at any time within 10 years of the date of the original deed.

Our fees are subject to increase on 1 January each year.

Leeds Register Office will keep a copy of your Deed Poll in our records, in case you need a duplicate in future.

All appointments are held at:

Merrion House,
Woodhouse Lane,

Birth and marriage certificates

Changing your name by Deed Poll cannot amend or replace a legal birth or marriage certificate. You will need to present the Deed Poll with these certificates when you’re asked for them, for example when applying for a passport.


By using our Deed Poll service you can change any part or all of your name, but there are some restrictions. You cannot change your name with us if you:

  • are under 18
  • are not a British National
  • plan to do something illegal such as commit fraud
  • want to call yourself something vulgar, offensive, blasphemous, or similarly unsuitable
  • want to add a title such as Sir, Lord, Lady, Duke, or Duchess
  • want to add symbols, numbers or punctuation marks
We reserve the right to refuse to change your name to something we consider inappropriate.

Further information

If you have any further questions about our Deed Poll service, please contact us:


0113 222 4408

Request a call back by email:



Information we may collect about youInformation we may collect about you<div class="ExternalClass9A5499202BC54298A3CFCF66F99BD722"><p>The council has a statutory duty to register births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships and to administer citizenship services on behalf of the Home Office. Your information will only be used to assist us with your registration appointment and/or ceremony or your copy certificate application. We will not share this information with anyone else unless we are required to do so by law. Please see our <a href="/privacy-and-data/service-privacy-notices/births-marriages-deaths-and-citizenship-privacy/registrars-notice">privacy policy</a> for further information on how we process your personal data.<br></p></div><br>

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?