Register a death

Information on how to register a death.

To register a death in Leeds please call 0113 222 4408 to make an appointment. You will need to collect the medical certificate from the doctor or hospital before your appointment with us.

A death should be registered within five days (unless a coroner is investigating the circumstances leading to a death).​

Contact us



0113 222 4408
(Weekdays, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am - automated response at other times)



What if someone dies abroad?, if someone dies abroad?<div class="ExternalClass3019C4AD34064B94BC95AF1F04C5F3B7">​If a friend or relative dies abroad this can be very distressing. The British consul can give you advice and help with practical details especially if you do not speak the language of that country.<br><br> You must register the death in the country where it happened.<br><br> You do not have to register a death at the British Consulate, but if you do you will get a consular death registration document and the death will be recorded at the General Register Office. The consular document is not a UK death certificate and should not be used as one. If the death occurred in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa or UK Overseas Territories you will be not be able to register the death with the British Consulate as these countries have close links with the UK and the local death certificate is in English. <br><br> The British Consulate can help you to:<br><br> - inform the next of kin<br> - advise you on how much a local burial, local cremation and transport of the remains and personal property back to the UK will cost<br> - give you a list of local funeral directors and help you if there is no English speaking firm<br> - help you to arrange for money to be sent from the UK to pay for costs<br> - if there is anything suspicious about the death they can advise you how to deal with this.<br><br> If the person who died had an infectious disease you must tell the authorities so they can any necessary precautions.<br><br> If you are living in the UK and a relative or friend dies when abroad, then you should contact:<br><br> The Foreign and Commonwealth Office<br> King Charles Street<br> London<br> SW1A 2AH<br> Tel: 020 7008 1500<br><br> and they can help you with:<br><br> - informing the next of kin<br> - they will try to make sure the next of kin do not hear of the death through the media<br> - and they will let the overseas Consul know what the wishes are about disposal of the body are and try to make sure these wishes are carried out. This is not always possible, for example some countries do not have crematoriums so they cannot do cremations.<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span><br><br> There are British Consulates in most capital cities and in other cities. You can find out more information on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website by using the link below.​​</div>
Who can register a death?Who can register a death?<div class="ExternalClass4FCA58C9BC754657A833ED55F27A17EE">A relative of the deceased<br> A person present at the death<br> A person arranging the funeral (not the undertaker)</div>
'Tell us once' free service'Tell us once' free service<div class="ExternalClassE97A510FCBBB4544854E9C09D4C76F12"><p>Tell Us Once is an optional and free service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.</p><p>You will need a unique reference which you can get from the registrars when you attend the appointment to register the death. Once you have this unique reference you can use the Tell Us Once online service. Before you do please visit the <a href="" rel="external">GOV.UK Tell Us Once page<span class="sr-only">External link</span></a> to read some important information and then to access the online service.</p><p>The registrar will also give you the phone number for the Tell Us Once service.</p></div>
Where can I register a death?Where can I register a death?<div class="ExternalClass46D60041F3EF4BCEB60F8613E5180498"><p>You can register a death at one of the following One Stop Centre’s: Armley, Chapeltown, Dewsbury Road, Garforth, Harehills, Merrion House, Middleton, Moor Allerton, Morley, Pudsey, Rothwell, Wetherby and Yeadon. Please see our <a rel="pdf" href="/docs/Registrars%20addresses%20and%20opening%20times.pdf">addresses and opening times document</a> for further details of each office.</p> <p>You can also register a death in any other Register Office in England and Wales. The Registrar will send the details on to us, although this may delay the funeral.</p></div>
Information we may collect about youInformation we may collect about you<div class="ExternalClass9A5499202BC54298A3CFCF66F99BD722"><p>The council has a statutory duty to register births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships and to administer citizenship services on behalf of the Home Office. Your information will only be used to assist us with your registration appointment and/or ceremony or your copy certificate application. We will not share this information with anyone else unless we are required to do so by law. Please see our <a href="/privacy-and-data/service-privacy-notices/births-marriages-deaths-and-citizenship-privacy/registrars-notice">privacy policy</a> for further information on how we process your personal data.<br></p></div><br>
What do I have to pay?What do I have to pay?<div class="ExternalClass764151A145A5467EB0146F1CB9835FC3"><p>The Registrar will provide you with copies of the death certificate at a cost of £11 each. </p><p>Certificates may be needed for:</p><ul class="list list-bullet"><li>probate or letters of administration</li><li>bank and building society accounts</li><li>private pensions</li><li>insurance companies</li><li>stocks and shares</li><li>solicitors​</li></ul></div>
What do I need to bring?What do I need to bring?<div class="ExternalClassE3AD09FCDA5A487AB494703BB45D7984">You must bring the medical certificate issued by the doctor. Without this certificate the Registrar will not be able to register the death. If the death has been reported to the Coroner’s Office they will advise you what to do.<br><br> It is also helpful if you bring the deceased person’s birth certificate or passport to help check spellings, marriage certificate (if applicable) and medical card.</div>
How to contact the registrars service outside normal working hoursHow to contact the registrars service outside normal working hours<div class="ExternalClass3CE8549942814DF787D1D5E88597475A"><p>A registrar is available at Merrion House between 08:45 and 16.30 Monday to Friday (by appointment only). On a Saturday, if you require an urgent green form for burial or to repatriate a deceased body, please attend Merrion House between 09.00 and 12.00</p><p>Outside these hours, where a green form for burial is urgently required, please call <strong>0113 222 4408</strong> to obtain details of our out of hours service.</p><p>A registrar will also be available between 9.00 and 10.00 on Sunday to deal with applications to repatriate a deceased body. Please call <strong>078912 79089</strong> between these hours.</p></div>
What do I need to do to take a body out of England or Wales?What do I need to do to take a body out of England or Wales?<div class="ExternalClass0FB6C02E3888440092C70A837ABAE6CB"><p>If a relative or friend dies away from home, or away from the place where they want the funeral, burial or cremation to be held, you will need to make extra arrangements to move the body.</p><p>When registering the death, the registrar will give you a removal notice form (sometimes called ‘form 104’) that you will need to complete for the coroner. Only a coroner can give permission to move a body out of England and Wales. This permission has to be given for all deaths, not just deaths which are reported to the coroner. You will need to give the coroner four working days’ notice before the body is moved (it may be possible for you to get permission sooner).<br></p><h3>Free from infection certificate</h3><p>You will also need a free from infection certificate. This certificate confirms that the area where the coffin of the deceased person was sealed is free from infection. You will need to contact the Leeds Health Protection Unit for this certificate:</p><div class="text-block"><p>Leeds Health Protection Unit<br> Leeds Health Protection Agency Laboratory<br> Bridle Path<br> York Road<br> Leeds<br> LS15 7TR</p></div><p>Telephone:</p><div class="text-block"><p><strong>0113 284 0611</strong>​</p></div></div>
What documents will I receive?What documents will I receive?<div class="ExternalClassE9EDD6AB78DF44D4BD71AD4A74EBDB9A">​A 'green form' to arrange the funeral. You need to give this to the funeral directors. If the death was referred to the coroner he may already have given this form to the funeral director. <br><br>A BD8 form to inform the department of works and pensions about any state pension and benefits relating to the deceased. <br><br>A Tell Us Once form - this can be used to inform a number of government departments about the death.<br><br>You can purchase a death certificate for £11.</div>
What does the registrar need to know about the deceased?What does the registrar need to know about the deceased?<div class="ExternalClass7D9368AD337A4FB2A75E140F5BF0F1D5">The date and place of death.<br><br>The date and place of birth.<br><br>The full name and if the deceased was a married woman, the surname/family name used before marriage (aka maiden name).<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span><br><br>Their occupation.<br><br>Their usual address.<br><br>If the deceased was married or in a civil partnership the full name, date of birth and occupation of the spouse or civil partner.<br><br>Details of any public sector pension for example - teachers, civil service or armed forces.​​​​</div>



Appropriate Policy Document for the Superintendent Registrar Policy Document for the Superintendent Registrar.pdf208736pdf
Registrars addresses and opening times addresses and opening times.pdf374199pdf

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.