Lotherton estate is a member of the Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme (VAQAS). Situated just outside Aberford, the museum is approximately 12 miles from Leeds, 4 miles from the nearest train station at Garforth and a twenty minute walk (approximately) from the nearest bus stop in Aberford. A 200 yard long drive leads up to the entry kiosk.
We look forward to welcoming you but for more information before your visit, please call us on +44 (0)113 378 2959.
There are several disabled parking spaces in the car park nearest to the House and Bird Garden. This car park is used as priority parking during the busier summer months. Access from the car park to the house and bird garden entrances is via fairly gradual uphill pathways.
The House - the entrance is at the front of the House. This is ramped access. The entrance is manual, opening inwards with a clear opening space.
The Shop and Stables Café - entrances to both the shop and café are level. The doors are both manual, opening inwards with clear opening spaces.
Lifts and access to house and Fashion Galleries
A proportion of the house is fully accessible. Some things to note are;
- There is now a lift in the house and almost all visitor areas, including the Fashion Galleries, are now fully accessible to those with mobility needs.
- Due to the historic nature of the house and it’s displays, larger motorised wheelchairs and scooters cannot navigate the visitor route so these are not permitted. Light wheelchairs are available to borrow for use in the house.
- Some rooms on the first floor are accessed by a chair lift.
- Folding seats are available for visitors to use around the house
- There are a number of multi-sensory and interactive spaces
- Please note that pushchairs cannot be pushed around the house. A buggy park is provided inside the house.
- The School Room, used by pre-booked groups, is inaccessible to wheelchair users but equal alternatives are offered. Please discuss any access needs with the Learning and Access Officer when booking your visit.
Access in the grounds and bird garden
The majority of the grounds, gardens and bird garden are fully accessible. Some things to note are;
90% of the gardens are fully accessible and you can view 100% from various viewpoints. The Edwardian Garden, by nature of its historic design, is not fully accessible to wheelchair users but can be viewed from vantage points
If you are using push wheelchairs, you might struggle on some of the gravel areas
The Bird garden is fully accessible but the pathways are fairly steep and gravelled in parts
The courtyard and Stables Café fully accessible although you would need to leave the electric wheelchairs outside of the café, shop and stables
The Boundary trail is generally accessible in fair weather and the Orchard path is an all weather path
The Captain wood trail is an all weather path
There is a Changing Places and accessible toilet in the Stables Courtyard, and there is an accessible toilet in the house.
Baby changing facilities are available in the courtyard toilets and inside the house. There is also a baby feeding room in the house.
Borrow a wheelchair
Manual wheelchairs are available from reception to use within the house. Unfortunately we cannot provide assistance to get around the house for wheelchair users. Another manual wheelchair is available from the Stables Café which can be used in the grounds. There are also two mobility scooters available from the welcome cabin to use on the estate which can be booked in advance. Please call us on +44 (0)113 378 2959 to discuss your access needs.
Entry to Lotherton is free of charge for a carer, for those who need one.
Dogs including guide and assistance dogs
Dogs are welcome to all areas except the house, Stables Café and bird garden, although guide and assistance dogs are welcome in the house. Dogs need to be kept on leads in the gardens and courtyard but are free to roam around the rest of the grounds if under control. Water is available in the courtyard.
Induction loops / Sound enhancement systems
There are no induction loops.
There are areas within the House that are touch and handling friendly, particularly the Servant's Rooms on the ground floor.
Access provision for groups
If a member or members of your group require access provision, please contact us at least six weeks in advance of your visit on 0113 378 2959 or email@example.com.