Major works on loan:
- Edward Armitage’s huge canvas ‘Retribution’, presented to Leeds Town Hall by the artist in 1858, and William Joy’s iconic painting ‘General Gordon’s Last Stand’ are both included in Artist & Empire, Tate Britain’s much-applauded exhibition.
- Francis Bacon’s ‘Painting 1950’ will go to Guggenheim Bilbao in Spain and Grimaldi Forum Monaco.
- Seven works by Stanley Spencer will spend over a year at the Stanley Spencer Museum in Cookham, the Berkshire village where the artist spent most of his life.
- Antonio Canova’s marble sculpture ‘Venus’ (1817) will travel to the artist’s home town Possagno in northern Italy, where the gipsotecha in the artist’s studio forms the Museo Canova.
- Paula Rego’s larger than life 'The Artist in her Studio' will go to Casa das Histórias, Portugal and then to Brazil.
- The Gallery’s much-prized Fauvist painting by Andre Derain will be displayed in Madrid.
(Image credit: Lady Elizabeth Butler (1846-1933), 'Scotland for Ever', 1881. Courtesy Leeds Museums and Galleries, given by Colonel T. W. Harding, 1888.)