Trees and vegetation

How to report dangerous and overgrown trees and vegetation, and what you need to consider when trimming trees and hedges.

Obstructions on roads and footpaths

Please let us know if overgrown trees, bushes or other vegetation are blocking a:

  • public footpath
  • pavement or road
  • ginnel
Report overgrown vegetation on public landExternal link

You can find out more about our responsibilities and timescales for dealing with different types of tree issues in our Tree Guidelines booklet.

Cutting trees and hedges yourself

You can trim branches or roots that cross into your property from a neighbour’s property or a public road up to the property boundary. If you do more than this, your neighbour could take you to court for damaging their property.

Find out what you can do if your neighbour’s hedge is causing a nuisance.

If you live in a conservation area, or the trees in the hedge are protected by a tree preservation order, you may need permission to trim them.

If your property borders a road

The highways authority can ask you to cut back hedges or trees on your property if they’re causing an obstruction in the road. If you refuse, they can go into your property without your permission to do the work themselves. You may be charged for this.

Countryside hedgerows

There are special protections for hedgerows of a certain age or size or which grow in certain locations which mean you may need permission before trimming or removing them.

Countryside hedgerows include those which are on or next to:

  • land used for agriculture or forestry
  • a village green
  • a nature reserve

Invasive weeds

What you need to do about invasive or non-native plants depends on where they are growing:



Tree guidelines booklet guidelines booklet.pdf6180276pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?