There are many ways of reducing your living costs, from smarter shopping and insulating your home to reducing energy costs and reviewing what you pay for gas and electricity.
Utility costs continue to rise, and the following utility providers and advice agencies have services which could support you.
Tenant Content Insurance Scheme
Leeds City Council operate a Tenant Content Insurance Scheme in conjunction with Royal Sun Alliance. This offers low cost, zero-contract and zero-excess insurance to Leeds City Council tenants. LCC operate the front end administration of the scheme (collection of premiums, setting up and cancelling policies, operating the renewal) whilst the actual insurance is provided by RSA and claims are dealt with separately as well.
It is offered to all of LCC tenants and offers quite a lot of benefits – particularly the zero excess is a unique selling point - home contents insurance - information
Better Homes Yorkshire has funding available at various times throughout the year to provide full heating systems and gas connections for residents in fuel poverty without central heating. Funding is also available for fuel poor residents for things such as cavity wall and loft insulation. To find out more about the latest offers and most current government funding available, visit the
Better Homes YorkshireBetter Homes Yorkshire website or call 0808 159 2909 or 0113 350 2550 and speak to an energy expert.
- if you have problems paying your Council Tax please call: 0113 376 0364.Emmaus Leeds
- provide low cost furniture, electrical items, household goods and toys. Tel: 0113 248 4288.
- for tips on energy saving and how to reduce your bills. Tel: 0300 123 1234.
– advice and benefits for older people – 0800 33 66 99 – Further information can be found in the
section on this page.
Leeds City Council Housing Options
- A service for people who are homeless, threatened with homelessness or in some form of housing need.
Revive Leeds (The Re-use Shop)
- Seacroft Recycling Site – provide low cost furniture. Tel: 0113 273 1791
Safe Haven – Furniture Charity Shop
- Tel: 0113 345 1218.
- provide low cost, quality paint. Tel: 0113 246 7510.
- helps people understand their housing rights and options. Tel: 0300 330 1234.
– low cost furniture. Tel: 0113 270 4005.
St Judes / St Vincent de Paul
- Shops at Armley, York Road, Butcher Hill, Lidgett Lane, Lincoln Green, Middleton, Moortown, Seacroft and Tinshill. Tel: 0113 245 0800.
- Tel: 0113 217 5388.
– various payment methods and frequencies. Find out if you’re eligible for blind/severely sight impaired and over-75s concessions.
Utility trust funds
are available – customers are able to apply via their customer debt programme. Further information is available by clicking the bold title.
Warmth for wellbeing service
encompasses home visits by the ‘Green Doctor Team’ providing energy and fuel bill advice as well as heating improvements for private sector residents who suffer from a cold related illness.
- The WaterSure scheme is available for certain customers with a water meter. It allows them to have their bills capped. This is to make sure that these customers don’t cut back on how much water they use because they are worried about how they will pay their bill.
- offers various payment options to help with your water bill. They have also established an independent registered charity called the Community Trust to help people in cases of extreme financial hardship. Tel: 0845 124 2426.