Money or debt advice?
If you are worried about money or debt, it can seem very confusing where to turn for help. Many people take out a payday loan as it can seem like the only solution at the time. However, payday loans can lead to serious debt and there are many independent agencies across Leeds providing free and confidential advice.
Support for Gambling Related Harm
Gamcare-Telephone and Online Support
GamCare provides a range of support services where anybody suffering from gambling related harm can speak to a trained Adviser over the phone or via the web, or access peer to peer support using their Forum and Chatrooms. The telephone and online facilities provides confidential advice, information and emotional support to anyone experiencing problems with gambling.
NECA – Local Counselling Support, appointment based
- Gamcare Helpline: 0808 8020 133 (8am to midnight, 7 days a week)
- GamCare Netline and online support services:
Gamcare (8am to midnight, 7 days a week)
GamCare also provide free counselling services on a one-to-one basis, or group therapy sessions via their service in Leeds called NECA.
NECA offers confidential counselling, advice and information service to anyone aged 16 years and over, including comprehensive assessment, brief interventions, structured one to one counselling, group work and support for family members or others affected by the consequences of gambling.
To book an appointment with NECA’s Leeds based counsellor please call 0191 4146446
- if you're having problems paying your Council Tax or any other debt you owe to the Council the best and quickest way for them to help is over the phone, please call:
or alternatively email:
.Local agenciesBetter Leeds Communities Advice Service
– offers free advice for anyone living in Leeds including help with debt as well as benefits, housing and fuel poverty. Call
0113 275 3498
to speak to an advisor or to arrange a face-to-face appointment.Chapeltown Citizens Advice
provides free, confidential and independent advice on a wide range of subjects including debt and your legal rights. Call
0113 223 4400
or for self-help visit
www.adviceguide.org.ukCitizens Advice Leeds
Provides free, independent and confidential advice and information on a wide range of subjects including benefits, debt, employment and housing.
- Appointments are available at venues across Leeds.
- Debt Advisers are available for telephone & face to face advice.
- Pensions guidance appointments are available across Leeds and Bradford - 0113 281 6738.
For more information telephone or call in Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, or check out the website any time. Leeds Adviceline:
0113 223 4400
Citizens Advice Leeds, 31 New York Street, Leeds LS2 7DT.Ebor Gardens Advice Centre
- a local charity based in Burmantofts gives free, confidential and impartial advice in relation to debt. If you are facing eviction, bailiffs at your door, door step collectors, County Court Judgements or just not managing to pay your debts then they can represent you, advise you on your rights and provide a casework service where they negotiate a realistic repayment program for you.
They also have a team of volunteers known as Leeds Money Buddies - which provide one-to one help. They can help you follow the debt advice you've been given, work on your budget, input information on to a computer, print letters off for your creditors, maximise your income, and fill out forms to apply for grants. Money Buddies can also look online for you to find the cheapest gas/electric supplier and will chat about the most up-to-date ways on how to save money. Call them on 0113 235 0276.Feel Good Factor Leeds
- free help and advice on benefits and welfare reform. The team also run 'Money Matters' courses which can help you manage your personal budget and find ways to save some money. Tel:
0113 350 4200Gipsil (Gipton Supported Independent Living)
- Provide free, independent general advice on welfare benefits and housing. Support and housing is primarily to young people and young parents aged 16 to 25 across east and north east Leeds. Tel:
0113 248 1813Leeds City Council Tenants
- Free money, budgeting and benefit advice (including form completion) available at local offices. For an appointment please call into your local office or telephone a Housing Officer direct on the telephone numbers listed in our
Citywide Housing Surgeries document (PDF 159KB)
.Local Welfare Support Scheme
- this scheme is run by Leeds City Council and supports people who require emergency assistance such as basic household goods. Tel:
0113 376 0330St Vincents Support Centre
- provides face-to-face free and confidential help for your debt, call
0113 248 4126
to make an appointment.Welfare Rights team, Leeds City Council
- gives free, confidential and impartial advice on a whole range of welfare benefits as well as help to complete claim forms and guidance and support when making appeals. If you would like to talk to a welfare rights worker you can contact us on 0113 3760452 or by e-mail on
Leeds Beckett University - Student Money & Advice Centre offers support relating to student finances including loans, fees and funding, and advice on budgeting, welfare benefits and managing debt.
Leeds Trinity Students' Union - provides support relating to student finances including loans, fees and funding.
Leeds University Union - gives support relating to student finances including loans, fees and funding, and advice on budgeting and managing debt.
Money Advice Service - offers advice and guides to help improve your finances as well as managing life chanegs such as starting a family or losing your job. Call 0800 138 7777 (calls are free of charge) or visit
National Debt Line - provides a step by step guide to help with your debts as well as a web chat service. Visit
www.nationaldebtline.org or call 0808 808 4000.
StepChange Debt Charity - free, tailored advice for problem debt and access to a debt management plan (DMP). A DMP helps you manage your debts and pay them off at an affordable rate by making reduced monthly payments. For more information freephone
0800 138 1111 or use their
StepChange Debt Remedy tool, a free online debt advice service. It identifies the extent of your debt problems and provides you with a tailored recommendation to resolve your situation.
Please see the
Related pages section for more information.