Special Guardianship

Special guardianship offers a child safety and security with a carer without stopping the relationship with the birth parents.

Carers make most decisions to do with the child's upbringing, including where the child lives, goes to school and what medical treatment they can receive.

Birth parents don't lose their parental responsibility, but they can't exercise it except in certain circumstances.

Carers may apply for a Special Guardianship Order after caring for the child for 12 months or sooner with permission from the court.

For more information please contact the Kinship Care Team on 0113 378 3537 (Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 4:30pm).