Specific issues

People who are abused - Specific Issues

Disabled women are twice as likely to experience domestic violence. If you are concerned about the way you are being treated by a partner, carer or other person, you can ask for help for yourself and maybe for your carer from Adult Safeguarding on 0113 222 4401.

Honour Based Violence can include forced marriage and abusive behaviour in the name of ‘family honour’ or cultural/religious expectations. Risks are high as the abuse may be carried out by the extended family and the community may collude with the abuser’s behaviour. For more information contact the Karma Nirvana helpline on 0800 5999 247, visit www.karmanirvana.org.uk or download the Honour Based Violence document from the Related Documents section on this page.  

Forced Marriage - if you or someone you know has been forced to marry or is at risk of being forced to marry, contact the Karma Nirvana helpline on 0800 5999 247 or visit www.karmanirvana.org.uk or the Forced Marriage Unit on 0207 0080 151, visit www.gov.uk/forced-marriage for advice or download the Forced Marriage document from the Related Documents section on this page.  

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) - if you are at risk or you know someone who is at risk of Female Genital Mutilation (cutting and removing part or all of a woman’s genital organs) contact Adult Safeguarding on 0113 222 4401 or the NSPCC FGM helpline on 0800 0283 550. If you need help and support after FGM contact Black Health Initiative on 0113 307 0300 or visit www.blackhealthinitiative.org; or Forward on 020 8960 4000, email forward@forwarduk.org.uk, visit www.forwarduk.org.uk or download the Female Genital Mutilation document from the Related Documents section on this page.  

Women in Prostitution - sex workers have an increased risk of violence. Help is available from the Leeds Domestic Violence Service.

Specific help is available from Basis Yorkshire on 0113 243 0036 or visit www.basisyorkshire.org.uk.

Immigration issues and domestic violence - some partners who don’t have British Nationality or Leave to Remain in the country cannot get benefits or other financial help.  If you are in this position, contact Leeds Domestic Violence Service on 0113 246 0401 and they can refer you to support. For more information, download the Immigration and DV document from the Related Documents section on this page. ​​​​​​