Safety planning

People who are abused - Safety Planning

You may need to consider a plan for leaving in a hurry. You can get legal advice and support with Safety Planning from Leeds Domestic Violence Service. 

If you want to discuss how the Police and the law can help, contact the Police Safeguarding Unit on 101 (ask for Safeguarding).

There are also some national organisations that specialise in legal advice and help, contact Rights of Women on 020 7251 6575, email  or visit or the National Centre for Domestic Violence on Freephone 0800 970 2070, text NCDV to 60777 (and they will call you back) or visit For information about getting a low cost injunction call 0844 8044 999.

Longer term safety includes support for your health and wellbeing. Building your confidence over time can help you to be more independent and less likely to stay with or return to an abusive relationship.

If you have children, it is helpful to let people involved in their care or education know what is going on as there may be support available to them.

It might be helpful to get some advice even if you are not thinking of leaving at the moment, just so you know what your options are, contact Behind Closed Doors on 0113 222 4202, email or visit
If you have friends or family that you can trust it might help to talk to them, discuss what you can do and see if they can offer any support.
If you are not living with the abuser, there are safety measures which can be put in place to make your property more secure. Talk to the Police Safeguarding Unit on 101 (ask for Safeguarding).

Download the Safety Planning template from the Related Documents section on this page.
For a list of local and national agencies who offer support with domestic violence and abuse see the Who can help? section on this page.

​ ​​​