Messages for children and young people
Each year, many children and young people see or hear domestic violence at home. It can be extremely upsetting and even though it isn’t aimed at you, it can be really hard to cope with.
Take a look at these messages and remember that you are not alone, there is always someone to talk to:
• It’s not your fault if adults are violent
• It’s good to tell someone you trust and get help
• Talking about it can help you to cope
• If something scary is happening at home, it’s best not to try and stop it yourself – find somewhere safe to go in the house if you can
• Domestic violence is a big thing for children to cope with
• Just because you are seeing violence in your family doesn’t mean you will copy the behaviour - children make positive choices
Living with domestic violence can be really difficult, but you don’t have to cope with it on your own. Contact one of the organisations on the information for children and young people page or speak to someone you trust.