Houses in Multiple Occupation Licensing

If you are a private landlord or managing agent and let out a property as a licensable House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), that property must have a valid licence.

With effect from 1st October 2018, ‘The Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Prescribed Description) (England) Order 2018’, replaces ‘The Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Prescribed Descriptions) (England) Order 2006’ (S.I. 2006/371). Its effect is that mandatory licensing will apply to HMOs that are below three storeys (as well as to those of three or more storeys) where the property:

  • is occupied by 5 or more persons; and
  • is occupied by persons living in two or more separate households; and
  • who share an amenity such as a kitchen, toilet, bathroom or lounge

If the property consists of a mixture of self-contained flats and flats where the tenant has to exit their flat (usually through a communal area) to make use of an amenity, then this may require a HMO licence.

In addition, premises fulfilling mandatory licensing criteria, with commercial properties at ground floor level also require a licence.​

Apply for a HMO licence

Read the HMO guidance notes and application (PDF 483KB).

Complete the form and send it to us along with a floor plan of the property.

Leeds City Council
Housing Regulation team
HMO Licensing
Knowsthorpe Gate 
Cross Green

Apply for your HMO Licence renewal online

In addition to being able to complete a paper HMO Licence Renewal form (PDF 483KB), we now offer a quick and simple online application and payment option.

In order to renew your HMO licence you must be the holder of a currently valid HMO licence for the property and you will be asked to complete a statutory declaration stating that there have been no material changes to the property and that the licence holder details are the same.

Apply for your HMO licence renewal online External link


A fee will be charged for your HMO licence. Do not enclose payment with your application - you will be invoiced once we have processed it.

See our licence fees page for details of costs.

Contact us



0113 378 4698



Complying with my HMO licence conditionsComplying with my HMO licence conditions<div class="ExternalClass01893386970145ECB9BAE6ED5CC972DC"><p>Your HMO licence contains a number of conditions including attendance on the <a href="" rel="external">HMO Licence Training Course</a>.</p><p>You are strongly advised to review all of the conditions along with the <a href="/docs/HMO-Licence-Advisory-Notes-2017%20.pdf">advisory notes (451KB)</a> supplied with your licence to ensure you fully comply with all of the conditions AND within the timescales specified. Failure to do so is an offence.</p></div>



Advisory standards for houses in multiple occupation April 2017 standards for houses in multiple occupation April 2017.pdf257629pdf
Extension of Mandatory HMO Licensing 2018 of Mandatory HMO Licensing 2018.pdf37710pdf
Fire safety principles for residential accommodation safety principles for residential accommodation.pdf575907pdf
HMO Lic landlords guide Lic landlords guide.pdf448334pdf
HMO Licence Application Form and Guidance Notes Licence Application Form and Guidance Notes.pdf494053pdf
HMO Licence Advisory Notes 2017 .pdf462203pdf
HMO variation request form 2017
Managing agents HMO Licensing agents HMO Licensing.pdf14932pdf
Space heating and insulation heating and insulation.pdf93335pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?