Street Parties

Street parties are a great part of British life and an opportunity for communities to come together to celebrate national occasions.

Organising a street party

Street parties are simple to organise. The guidance provided by the Home Office (in the Documents section on this page) sets out what you need to think about, busts the myths about what’s needed, and includes a simple form to let your council know about your plans.

If you are looking to hold a street party it is recommended that you obtain advice on whether you require any form of licence from us. As a general rule you will not require any form of licence if your event fits the following criteria:

  • for residents/neighbours only
  • no publicity outside the neighbourhood
  • no sale of alcohol

Sale of alcohol

If you are thinking of selling alcohol you can apply to us for a Temporary Event Notice. The fee for a Temporary Event Notice is £21. Further guidance is available within the Temporary Event Notice application form (WORD 181KB).

The Big Lunch

The Big Lunch: If you want to hold a street party as part of The Big Lunch or The Great Get Together, you may need to apply for a road closure to close your road. Road closure requests for Big Lunch street parties will be arranged free of charge.

Further details can be found in our Road closures guidance document (PDF 78KB) and from our Highways team. You can contact them on 0113 222 4407.




Guidance notes - street party road closures
Street Parties Guidance Parties Guidance.pdf454200pdf
TEN application form - Temporary Event Notice.doc185856doc

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?