House to House Collection Permits

You need a permit from Leeds City Council to carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes for a period that exceeds 28 days in the Leeds area. If you wish to carry out house to house collections for a period of less than 28 days you can apply for a Certificate of Exemption from West Yorkshire Police.

More information on house to house collection can be found in the House to House Collections Act 1939 (PDF 80KB).

There is no charge for a house to house collection permit. However, once a permit has been issued, you will need to apply to The Stationery Office for copies of the prescribed Certificate of Authority and prescribed Badges (which you will need to supply to all your collectors). You can order these online. The ISBN number is 9780113407422.

There are no restrictions on the allocation of dates for house to house collections, nor on the length of the collection (provided it is less than one calendar year). Many collections are carried out by regional or national charitable organisations who often book their collections well in advance under the authority of a Home Office exemption.

After the collection has been held a return form, signed by an accountant, detailing the amount collected and any expenses incurred, needs to be submitted to the council within one month. The relevant return form will be sent when your permit is issued.

Leeds City Council does not hold a public register of House to House collections online but you can contact us




Apply for a new house to house collection permitApply for a new house to house collection permit<div class="ExternalClass8A3533D412624484804C8CAF6BA4F892"><p>​​If you would like to apply for a house to house collection permit you will need to complete the <strong><a href="/docs/HH1%20-%20House%20to%20House%20collection%20permit%20application.doc">application form (Word doc 118KB)</a></strong>. The form is straightforward but we do have <strong><a href="/docs/GN%20-%20HH%20House%20to%20house%20collections%20guidance.pdf">some guidance (PDF 109KB)</a></strong> and if you need help, please contact us. There is no fee.</p> <p>Once you have finished your collection you will need to fill in the returns forms. There is a <strong><a href="/docs/House%20to%20House%20-%20Money%20return%20form.doc">form for money (Word doc 51KB)</a></strong> and a <strong><a href="/docs/House%20to%20House%20-%20Property%20return%20form.doc">form for other items (Word doc 53KB)</a></strong> such as clothes.</p> <p>You can’t make your application online yet but you can send us completed applications forms by email to <strong><a href=""></a></strong>. You can also post us your application to:</p> <strong><p>Leeds City Council<br> Entertainment Licensing<br> Civic Hall<br> Leeds<br> LS1 1UR</p></strong> ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
Consumer ProtectionConsumer Protection<div class="ExternalClassFDAC7C28A1E94CBF913D66CD5ED19CE8">​​<p>Should you have cause for complaint in relation to licensed premises, we would always recommend that you write to the business first. If that does not work please contact us and providing it is a matter covered by the legislation, we can investigate the complaint for you.​</p></div>
Use of Personal DataUse of Personal Data<div class="ExternalClass22ECBC91FDEB4C0C937D7F91E848A268"><p>​​We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and to this end may use the information you have provided in your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.​</p></div>



HH1 - House to House collection permit application - House to House collection permit application.doc120832doc
House to House - Money return form to House - Money return form.doc51712doc
House to House - Property return form to House - Property return form.doc53760doc
GN - HH House to house collections guidance - HH House to house collections guidance.pdf110960pdf
House to house collections Act 1939 to house collections Act 1939.pdf81783pdf
House to House Regulations.doc to house collections regulations 1947.pdf18266pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?