Small Society Lotteries

Lotteries and prize draws are an excellent way of raising money for charity at very little cost.

A raffle or prize draw where tickets are printed and sold in advance requires a small society lottery registration with the council. This is a straightforward process, requiring the completion of a form and the payment of fee. Organisers must complete a “lottery return” within three months of the draw which lays out how much money was raised, how much used for expenses and how much paid to the charity.

An incidental non-commercial lottery is a raffle where tickets are sold and drawn on the same day. This is the kind of raffle that uses cloakroom tickets and is usually held at an event such as a school fetes, or a quiz night. Prizes are often donated. Provided the raffle is drawn on the same day, it does not require a licence or a registration.

A tombola would be considered an incidental non-commercial lottery and does not need a registration, however organisers should be aware that children should not be allowed to play if alcohol is included in the prizes.​​



Consumer ProtectionConsumer Protection<div class="ExternalClassFDAC7C28A1E94CBF913D66CD5ED19CE8">​​<p>Should you have cause for complaint in relation to licensed premises, we would always recommend that you write to the business first. If that does not work please contact us and providing it is a matter covered by the legislation, we can investigate the complaint for you.​</p></div>
Register a small society lotteryRegister a small society lottery<div class="ExternalClassC632C263C18E4DFBA2715FB4429E368D">​​<p>If you would like to apply for a small society lottery registration you will need to complete the <strong><a href="/docs/Lotteries%20registration%20form.doc">application form (Word doc 222KB)</a></strong>. We have <strong><a href="/docs/Small%20society%20lotteries%20guidance.pdf">some guidance (PDF 61KB)</a></strong> on how to fill in the application, which includes how much it will cost and who to send your application to.</p> <p>You can’t make your application online yet but you can send us completed applications forms by email to <strong><a href=""></a></strong>. You can also pay by cheque by posting<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span> your application to:</p> <strong><p>Leeds City Council<br> Entertainment Licensing<br> Civic Hall<br> Leeds<br> LS1 1UR</p></strong> ​</div>
Send in a returnSend in a return<div class="ExternalClass40830C0DF2354097BF0696827F57BE61">​​<p>To send in a return simply post it to us, with a note of the registration number. You can download a <strong><a href="/docs/Returns%20relating%20to%20a%20small%20society%20lottery.doc">return form (Word doc 320KB)</a></strong> and email it to us but it will need to have two signatures on it so you will have to sign it and scan it before emailing.</p> ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
Use of Personal DataUse of Personal Data<div class="ExternalClass22ECBC91FDEB4C0C937D7F91E848A268"><p>​​We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and to this end may use the information you have provided in your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.​</p></div>



Lotteries registration form registration form.doc227328doc
Returns relating to a small society lottery relating to a small society lottery.doc327168doc
Licensing Act 2003 society lotteries guidance.pdf115400pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?