To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
Pet Animals Act 1951 (Chapter 35).
Application evaluation process
We must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
We may attach conditions to the licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
How to apply
The application is a two part process:
Apply for an animal welfare licence. Once payment has been made you will receive an email confirmation from us providing your reference number. You can then quote this reference in the full application form that you can download from the related documents section on this page. Please email the completed form to email@example.com.
Please be aware, the cost of the licence is reviewed in April each year. If you think you need a licence and you would like further information or you would like to find out the cost of the licence, please contact us.
0113 378 5959
(Mon to Fri, 9am and 4pm)