To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from us. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.
We may authorise one of our officers, a veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.
How to apply
The application is a two part process for animal boarding and home boarding licences. You can
Apply for an animal welfare licence to complete the first part of the application and to pay the cost securely on line.
Once payment has been made you will receive an email confirmation from us providing your reference number. You can then quote this reference in the full application form (WORD 124KB). Please email the completed form to email@example.com.
If you think you need a licence but would like further information, please contact us on 0113 378 5959 (Mon to Fri, 9am and 4pm).
You must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of your application:
- keeping an animal boarding establishment
- keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
- owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006
Full conditions of a licence can be found in the related documents
section of this page.
Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 (chapter 43).
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days please contact us.
0113 378 5959
(Mon to Fri, 9am and 4pm)