Temporary event notices

A temporary event notice (TEN) can be used for the occasional sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment and the sale of hot food and drink (after 11pm).

It can also be used to replace an existing premises licence should you wish to provide additional licensable activities or increase the hours of the licence for a limited time. However, irrespective of the size of the premises, a temporary event notice is restricted to events that have occupancy of no more than 499 persons.

Each temporary event notice can last up to 168 hours, which is 7 days. You could apply for a number of events on the one notice provided they are contained within the 168 hrs, they are all being organised by the same person (premises user) and are for the same premises.

Please note the 7 days will count towards the 21 day aggregate total as detailed below.


There are limitations to the number of TENs that can be given:

  • 15 per premises per calendar year
  • 5 (two of which can be “late” TENs) per premises user per calendar year. This is extended to 50 (10 of which can be “late” TENs) if the premises user holds a personal licence
  • Each premises can have an aggregate total of 21 days covered by a TEN per year

There must be a minimum of 24 hours between each temporary event notice taking effect on the same premises.

Standard TENs and Late TENs

There are two types of TEN, and the difference is in the number of days notice you have to give and what happens if your notice receives an objection.

Standard TEN

For a standard TEN, the premises user must give at least ten working days notice. This does not include the day we receive the TEN or the day of the event, any weekends or bank holidays.

"Late" TEN

For a “late” TEN, the premises user must give between 9 and 5 working days notice. Again this does not include the day we receive the TEN or the day of the event, any weekends or bank holidays. A late TEN is usually reserved for when an event has to be moved with very little notice.

Should we receive an objection notice from the police or environmental health to a standard TEN we will organize a hearing and advise you of the date and time. You will be able to explain to a licensing sub-committee about your application and any measures you intend to take to address the concerns of the police or environmental health.

The sub-committee has the option of serving a counter notice (and effectively not accepting your TEN) or, if the premises holds a premises licence, applying any conditions on that licence to the TEN.

If the police or environmental health object to a late TEN then it is immediately cancelled. You will be notified of this as soon as possible but not later than 24 hours before the event.

Apply for a standard or late Temporary Event Notice

You can apply for a temporary event notice by post or online.

If you would like to apply for a temporary event notice, you need to complete the temporary event notice form (WORD 182KB). You should send a copy of the TEN to Entertainment Licensing along with the fee of £21. You must send one copy to the police and one copy to environmental health at the same time. We have some guidance (PDF 96KB) on how to fill in the application. We also have some guidance (PDF 82KB) about holding a temporary event that you might find useful.

As this is a notice, there is no formal decision made. We will write to you and acknowledge that we have received your notice. However if the Police or Environmental Health object to your notice we will hold a hearing so that the Licensing Committee can decide if we should serve a counter notice which will mean that the licensable activities cannot go ahead. This doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t hold your event but you will not be able to provide alcohol.

Apply for a temporary event notice online(External link)

Consumer Protection

Should you have cause for complaint in relation to a temporary event notice, we would always recommend that you write to the business first. If that does not work please contact us and providing it is a matter covered by the legislation, we can investigate the complaint for you.​

Use of Personal Data

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and to this end may use the information you have provided in your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.​





GN-R TEN Application guidancehttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/GN-R TEN Application.pdf97539pdf
GN-S Holding a temporary eventhttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/GN-S Holding a temporary event.pdf83017pdf
TEN application formhttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/TEN - Temporary Event Notice.doc185856doc

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?