Running a food business from home

Are you planning to run a food business from your home?

You will need to register with your Local Authority. If your premises are based in Leeds you would need to register with us.

The registration form can be found in the Documents section.

When running a food business from home your kitchen must meet the requirements of the hygiene regulations but the regulations do acknowledge a slightly lesser standard for domestic premises.

You will need to have undergone some food hygiene training. Level 2 or 3 Food Safety training qualifications are appropriate, however you must ensure the syllabus covers the type of activity you are planning to undertake e.g. catering or retail. Courses are run at Leeds City College or alternatively they are available on line but you do not benefit from the group discussions with on-line courses. You need to make sure that any on line training meets the syllabus or is accredited to one of the main awarding bodies e.g. CIEH, RSPH, City and Guilds etc.

You must have a written food safety management system commensurate to the size and nature of your business. There are several available for you to use:

  • Safer Food Better Business (SFBB)
  • Cook Safe
  • Safe Catering

These can be downloaded from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) website.

If you are going to pre-pack food for sale you should contact West Yorkshire Trading Standards if you need any advice to discuss any labelling requirements for the foods that you sell, for example ingredients, allergens and shelf life. Their phone number is 0113 253 0241.​​​



General issues when running a business at homeGeneral issues when running a business at home<div class="ExternalClassAE18960760AE488096509DAE73605DF1">Make sure any children and pets are not around when you are preparing food for the business.<br><br>Do not do washing (laundry) at the same time. <br><br>Have nothing around that could accidentally fall into food e.g. plants, notice boards with pins etc. <br><br>Most people have designated cupboards for storage of equipment, utensils, ingredients, etc and a separate shelf in the fridge for high risk items or a separate fridge (depending on the size of the business). <br><br>Clean all surfaces with an anti-bactericidal spray before food preparation takes place. <br><br>Do not prepare food for the business if you have had diarrhoea and vomiting. You must be symptom free for 48 hours. <br><br>Be aware of allergens and how these are stored at home and how they could contaminate any food you prepare. <br><br>If you transport food to a venue it must be done hygienically and high risk foods must be in cool boxes or other insulated containers. ​​​</div>



Application for the Registration of a Food Business Establishment for the Registration of a Food Business Establishment.docx77962docx

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?