Environmental permits

​Under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016, local authorities must regulate certain types of industrial processes and other activities such as dry cleaners. This is to reduce any pollution they may cause and, in particular, to help improve air quality. Businesses which operate these premises must have a permit.

A regulated facility includes: 

  • installations or mobile plant carrying out listed activities 
  • waste operations (unless an exempt waste operation)
  • waste mobile plant 
  • mining waste operations 

Listed activities include: 

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquefaction and refining activities 
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals 
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass 
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk 
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste 
  • solvents - using solvents 
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming 

Permits are issued by the Environment Agency or your local authority (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within: 

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plant are regulated by the Environment Agency  Part A(2) installations are regulated by the local authority
  • Part B installations or mobile plant are regulated by the local authority (except where waste operations are carried out at Part B installations, in which case the installation is regulated by the Environment Agency)
  • Waste operations or waste mobile plant (carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants) are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency 

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including: 

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency 
  • waste reduction 
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention 

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

For local authorities the regulation of Part B activities is known as Local Air Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC), and the regulation of A2 activities as Local Authority Industrial Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC). Together they form the Local Authority Pollution Control (LAPC) regime.

Further information

Details of permits within the Leeds area can be viewed using our interactive map. For more information, see the related documents below, or contact the LAPC section at ep.team@leeds.gov.uk or phone 0113 378 5959.





Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?