Business rates are the way in which businesses contribute to the cost of local services.
Although collected by local authorities the amount payable is determined by central government. The government department responsible for business rates is the Department of Communities and Local Government.
Further information regarding business rates and the rates retention scheme which started in April 2013 can be found in the links below and the related documents section.
Further information on business rates
GOV.UK - Business premises and business rates
GOV.UK - Business rates retention
Valuation office agency: Business rates information
The related pages section provides more information on:
- How business rates are calculated
- How to appeal against the rateable value
- How to set up a direct debit
- Business rates sent by email
- Small business rate relief
- Help with business rates if you are having problems paying
- Relief from business rates
If you wish to notify us of your liability for business rates or if you can't find the information you require, please contact us.
0113 376 0359
(Mon to Fri, 9am and 2pm)