Help for jobseekers from overseas



RETAS (Refugee Education Training Advice Service)
Leeds based RETAS works to integrate refugees and asylum seekers by assisting with access to education, requalification, training and employment.
RETAS runs IELTS (International English Language Testing System) preparation courses on a rolling basis throughout the year.
List of free English classes in Leeds
Please also refer to: Migrant English Support Hub (MESH) - a new ESOL website for Leeds, which will, in due course, provide a ‘one stop shop’ for adult migrants and advisers to find up to date information about all ESOL classes in Leeds. 
Directory of Services in Leeds for Asylum Seekers and Refugees
TEACHERS - information for overseas-trained teachers who wish to work as teachers in England
You must have qualified teacher status (QTS) to take up a teaching post in England in a:
   •  maintained primary school
   •  maintained secondary school
   •  maintained special school
   •  non-maintained special school
The UK Government website explains what you need to do if you are:
   •  an EEA (European Economic Area) national and an EEA member state recognises you as a
      qualified school teacher
   •  a non-EEA national
NURSES AND MIDWIVES - information for overseas-trained nurses and midwives who wish to work as a nurse or midwife in the UK
Anyone wanting to work in the UK as a nurse or midwife must register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). You can apply to be on the NMC Register, providing you meet its standards. The NMC will compare the training in your country with that required in the UK.
The NMC website explains what to do if you are:
   •  a nurse or midwife who trained in an EU or EEA member state
   •  a nurse or midwife who trained outside of the EU or EEA countries
CONSTRUCTION WORKERS - CSCS Cards (Construction Skills Certification Scheme)
Most contractors and construction clients insist that workers on their sites hold the appropriate CSCS card for the work they undertake. There is a range of CSCS cards to cover most occupations in the construction industry. Your current job, your previous experience and any qualifications you have will determine which type of card you should apply for.
CONSTRUCTION WORKERS - ECS card (Electrotechnical Certification Scheme)
Holding an  means you can prove your identity, your qualified status and your occupation when working on-site. It is affiliated to the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS). So when people say that you need a CSCS card - the ECS card is the one that's relevant to the Electrotechnical Industry.
There is no such thing as a fork lift truck driver’s licence! This is explained in this fact sheet from the Fork Lift Truck Association. Please also refer to their fact sheet on Overseas Licences and other fact sheets on Operator Selection and Training.