Needs assessments

Find out what to expect when you have a needs assessment, including where it happens and what you'll talk about.

What it is and how to get one

When you contact us for help, we may arrange for you to speak with a social worker, wellbeing worker or occupational therapist.

They’ll have a conversation with you to find out what kind of support will help you best. This is called a needs assessment.

Get a needs assessment

You can call us to talk about getting your need assessed. Find out how to contact us on how to get help.

Where you’ll be assessed

The assessment can be in your own home or we may offer you an appointment at a talking point.

Talking points are sessions held all over Leeds in places like community hubs and One Stop Centres. If you can travel, it’s often easier to get a talking point appointment than it is to get a home appointment.

Bringing someone with you

You can have someone with you for support during your assessment. This could be a carer, friend or family member.

They could help if you find it hard to understand things or get your meaning across.

If there is nobody you can bring for support, you can ask us to arrange for an independent advocate to be there. An independent advocate is a trained professional who can help you get your opinions heard. 

Find out more about advocates.

Speaking for someone who needs care

If you're attending the assessment of someone who cannot make their own decisions, you will need the right to manage their care. Find out more about representing someone in assessments.

What you’ll talk about

The person who assesses you is there to help you make a plan to live well. Everybody’s needs are different. So they'll ask questions to find out what's important to you and make sure your plan is tailored to you. 

Find out the types of support that could be in a plan.

They'll look at more than just the things you're finding difficult. You'll also talk about the things you can do, including the things you enjoy and would like to do more often.

They’ll ask about:

  • what is going on in your life
  • your friends and family
  • anyone you look after

You may want to tell them about how well you can:

  • prepare and eat food and drinks without help
  • keep yourself and your clothes clean
  • manage your toilet needs
  • dress yourself properly
  • move around safely
  • keep your home clean and safe
  • have enough contact with other people
  • take part in activities like volunteering or learning
  • use local services, such as the buses and shops
  • carry out any caring responsibilities you might have

They will also talk with you about how your care needs affect your wellbeing, including:

  • relationships with family and friends
  • physical and mental health
  • keeping safe
  • having enough money
  • a good place to live
  • being able to control your daily life

What happens next

The person who does your assessment may give you advice, connect you with people, suggest helpful gadgets and home adaptations, and arrange any care and support that is in your agreed plan.

If your plan includes having care and support services, you might get help to pay for them. You will need to have a financial assessment to decide if you qualify and work out how much help you will get.

Find out more about:


If you disagree with the outcome of your needs assessment, you can appeal and ask us to review your case. The best way to do this is by speaking to your social worker.

If you are still unhappy, you can make a formal complaint.

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.