Abandoned vehicles, caravans and trailers

Reporting an abandoned vehicle if it is untaxed

If a vehicle doesn’t have road tax, it must be declared as off-road and removed from the public highway. This also includes land open to the public that is intended to be accessed by car, such as a car park. From 1 October 2014, tax discs are no longer issued. You can check the tax status of a vehicle at the GOV.UK website. You will need the registration number and make of the vehicle.

If a vehicle is untaxed, you should contact the DVLA and provide the registration number, make and location of the vehicle.

Vehicles broken down, abandoned or causing an obstruction can also be reported to the police on 101.

Report an abandoned vehicle if it is still taxed

Where an abandoned vehicle is still taxed, or untaxed but cannot be removed by the DVLA for other reasons (for example: in instances where it has been set on fire, vandalised or stripped of parts) the council will work with the police to investigate and get the owner to remove it. If the owner can’t be traced then other arrangements will be made to remove the vehicle.

If the vehicle is on private land there are other criteria that need to be met before the council can remove it, which means the process may take longer or may mean that the vehicle cannot be removed at all.

To report an abandoned vehicle which is still within tax please use the Report an abandoned vehicle form.​​​​​​​

Caravans and trailers

It is an offence to keep a caravan or a trailer on the public highway for longer than 24 hours. You can report issues using the Report an abandoned vehicle form.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​



Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?