Leeds Lifesaving's 'Wise Up To Water' campaign aims to highlight the dangers of water and gives simple practical advice on how to prevent an accident and what you should do if you see some one else in difficulty.
- Drowning is the 3rd most common cause of accidental death in 11-18 year olds!
- Most people who drown in the UK can swim!
- Over 700 people in the UK drown every year!
- Outdoor water is cold - cold kills!
- Every year people drown trying to rescue others!
Wise Up To Water
- Spot the dangers - Water may look safe, but is can be dangerous . Learn to spot and keep away from dangers. You may swim well in a warm indoor pool, but that does not mean that you will be able to swim in cold outdoor water.
- Take safety advice - Special flags and notices may warn you of danger. Know what the signs mean and do what they tell you.
- Don't go alone - Tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. Go with a friend, don't go alone.
- Learn how to help - You may be able to help yourself and others if you know what to do in an emergency.
Leeds Lifesaving run various courses and events to promote the Wise Up To Water message
- Wise Up To Water - Primary School Roadshow - an hour long roadshow open to all Leeds Primary School. The workshop aims to introduce, promote and educate in water safety awareness. Pupils must participate in the Wise up to Water Roadshow to fulfil the water safety elements of the Key Stage 2 National Curriculum - swimming.
- Wise Up To Water - Holiday Activity Camps
- Please see your local leisure centre for date and times or contact Leeds Lifesaving
at John Charles Centre for Sport , Middleton Grove, Leeds, LS11 5DJ
Tel: 0113 2475243