Active Ageing in Leeds is for people who are aged 45 and over...
We know that you will have different physical activity needs at different stages of your life. Active ageing is about enjoying recreation and socialising, preventing illness and maintaining mobility, independence and quality of life through physical activity.
Where can I take part?
• Leeds City Council leisure centres. You can click on the related pages below to find details of all of the leisure centres across the City and find the nearest centre for you. You may be surprised to know that people just like you use our leisure centres for a wide range of activities.
• Leeds Sailing and Activity Centre. Click on the related page below for more information.
• Parks. Leeds has some fantastic green space for activities such as walking, cycling and fun games like Rounders and Frisbee. Click on the parks and countryside related page below to find out more details.
• Sports Clubs. Click on the link to the right hand side of this page for the West Yorkshire Sport website which provides further information.
• Leeds Let’s Change. Click on the link to the right hand side to find a range of activities and other health information.
What is recommended?
1. You should aim to be active daily. At least 150 minutes (2½ hours) of moderate intensity activity in bouts of 10 minutes or more every week.
2. Alternatively, comparable benefits can be achieved through 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity spread across the week or combinations of moderate and vigorous intensity activity.
3. You should also undertake physical activity to improve muscle strength on at least two days a week.
4. You should minimise the amount of time spent being sedentary for extended periods.
5. Older adults at risk of falls should incorporate physical activity to improve balance and coordination on at least two days a week.
For more information please look at the National physical activity guidelines for adults - these can be found by clicking on the expandable Documents section on this page. There are 2 documents to choose from, one for 19-64 years and the other for 65+ years.