We aim to ensure that the highway (i.e. roads, pavements, and local footpaths) are kept clear and safe at all times. However, on occasions, we recognise that you may need to obstruct the highway, for example if you are carrying out works to your property.
In cases where you do need to obstruct the highway, you need to apply for a permit to do so. Examples of when this may occur include:
- skips on the highway;
- building materials on the highway;
- placing a structure on the highway;
- projection over the highway;
- scaffolding and hoarding on the highway;
- temporary closure of the highway;
- placing a crane or access platform on the highway;
- street furniture on the highway;
- vehicular crossings; and
- events on the highway.
You can view details of all current and planned permits on a map by selecting Roadworks information for Leeds in the external links section.
Please note, if you want to make changes to the highway itself, e.g. dropped kerbs, you must contact us so that we can make an assessment.
Contact us on 0113 247 7526 if you need more information.
Further information on how to apply for the correct licence and permits can be found in the related pages section.