Help with your rent, Council Tax and school meals
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Help with your rent, Council Tax and school meals

This page provides information on what we can do to help you to pay your rent (Housing Benefit) Council Tax (Council Tax Support) and school meals (free school meals).

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help towards your rent if you live and pay rent in Leeds, and are on a low income. More information can be found on the Housing Benefit page. If you are a landlord see the Information for Landlords​ page.

Housing Benefi​t cannot provide help towards a mortgage but you may be able to get Support for Mortgage Interest from the Department of Work and Pensions. See the Support for Mortgage Interest page​ for more information.

If you are in arrears with your rent or mortgage payments more information can be found on the Housing Options page.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you get Housing Benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit, but need further help with your rent costs then you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support can reduce the amount of Council Tax you pay or mean that you have nothing to pay. Please see the Council Tax Support page for further information.

Free School Meals

If you are the parent, foster parent, network family carer or guardian of children at school and you are on a low income, you could get Free School Meals. For more information see the Free School Meals page.

These are the only benefits that you can get from Leeds City Council. If you are wanting to claim other benefits for example Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support you should contact the Department for Works & Pensions – see the external link 'Entitled to - benefits calculator'.

How can I find out how much help I could get?

Use the 'Entitled to - benefits calculator'​ to work out how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax support you could receive.​​​​​​​​​

Frequently asked questions:

Click to expandHow do I apply?

To claim Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support and Free School Meals download and complete a Benefits Claim form (PDF 2.87MB). There is also a new claim information booklet which will help you to complete the form. If you need to print any of these documents in large print, please select A3 size in print settings.​

You can also pick a form up at any of our one stop centres - to find out your nearest one stop centre please enter your postcode in the Where I Live section.

If you need help completing your claim form see the related page Help with completing your Housing Benefit or Council tax Support claim form.​​​​

Click to expandWhat if my circumstances have changed, for example my income has changed or I've moved address?

Please look at the Changes in Circumstances​ page which is linked in the Related Pages section of this page for detailed information and downloadable forms.

Click to expandWhat happens next?

Once we have received your completed claim form we will write to you to let you know:

  • the amount you are entitled to
  • the date from which you are entitled
  • how to appeal if you do not agree with our decision – more information can be found on the related page 'disputes and appeals'

It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes in your circumstances which may affect your entitlement – more information can be found on the related page changes in circumstances

Once you have been sent the details above you can view your claim online. You can do this by clicking the Top Task 'View your housing benefit or Council Tax Support online'. ​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?