Children and young people with additional needs
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Children and young people with additional needs

Scope for Leeds is the council's one point of contact for families with a disabled child.  They provide advice and information on services and support across the city for you and your child. 

A range of short breaks and fun activities are available in Leeds for children and young people with disabilities and SEN. These give children and young people a chance to have fun, make new friends and gain independence, whilst their parents or carers have a break from caring. Read our guide for more information and find details of the different short breaks available using the external links section.

Health can also provide specialist short breaks, these are accessed through an assessment and include day/evening/overnight support in the family home or a residential setting.

The Child Health and Disability (CHAD) Team work within the 3 geographical areas of the city, South, East and West and provide intervention in relation to
  • Social work services delivered to children in need
  • Children subject to child protection plans
  • Children subject to care proceedings
  • Children looked after by Leeds City Council
If it is determined that your family requires social work intervention then an assessment of need will be done by a qualified social worker within the Complex Needs Service. The assessment will work with the family to identify the needs of the child, young person and their family and how these can be met, and include recommendations about services that could assist.

The occupational therapy team
The team assesses the long term needs of a child and carers in relation to their needs in the home.  After an initial assessment, equipment or adaptations to the child’s home or short break setting may be recommended that can increase the child’s safety and independence.  

Occupational therapists also support families seeking re-housing to a suitable property and provide education and advice about specific aspects of a child’s daily routine, such as safe moving and handling techniques. 

Regional specialist paediatric team
They are based at Leeds General Infirmary. They work with children with serious health conditions and their families.

How to contact us
If you are a member of the public phone 0113 2224403 between 8am and 6pm for an initial discussion. 

If you are involved in a professional capacity with a child or family then please contact the Duty & Advice team on 0113 3760336 between 8am and 6pm.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?