The benefits of car-sharing include:
- saving money on transport costs;
- fewer cars on the road – less congestion, less pollution and easier parking;
- providing a solution to the transport problems of rural areas;
- providing more transport options; and
- reducing the need for a private car.
Over 3000 people have signed up to Carshareleeds.com and it’s estimated that over 3,000,000 miles are saved every year through car sharing in and around Leeds. You can do the same by using the link on the right of this page. Leeds residents are being encouraged to continue the rise in car sharing and fill some of the 38 million empty seats on the UK’s roads every day.
The scheme is currently enjoying a boost in membership numbers following recent advertising campaigns with Travel for Work's ‘cash in on your empty car seat’ campaign in February. Another is asking successful car sharers to tell their story on how car sharing has worked for them.
Carshareleeds.com is part of a larger partnership of West Yorkshire Authorities all promoting car sharing through the liftshare.com network, which is the UK’s largest car sharing company with over 310,000 members, which allows people to share lifts for journeys anywhere in the UK.