Your social care rights and entitlements
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Your social care rights and entitlements

If you think you need social care support, you'll need to think about what types of support you need - be it homecare workers, equipment or respite breaks.

Your first step to getting this sort of help should be to ask Adult Social Care for an assessment of your needs. You can find further information on the Getting social care and support for adults page which can be found in the Related Pages section.

The Leeds Information and Advice Strategy sets out how a local alliance of health and social care agencies active within the city will work together to improve information and advice services for people with care and support needs. This can be found in the documents section on this page.

Your social care rights and entitlements 

Under UK law you should be looked after and treated fairly and with dignity whenever you are given social care services. This applies to everyone, regardless of where they are given care and who does the caring. These come under the UK Human Rights Act.

Several rights may apply because of this law, including the right to:

  • life
  • liberty
  • respect for private and family life, home and correspondence
  • not to be treated in an inhuman or degrading way

Other laws may also protect you from discrimination because of who you are, including some protection for carers under the rules designed to protect disabled people. For example, if you are an older person, this should not stop you from having treatment similar to that which a younger person would be given.

In most cases, you shouldn't have to actively exert your rights about the care you receive. However, if you feel you are being unjustly treated in breach of your rights, you may want to take action. You can do this by telling someone you trust, seeking help from an advocacy service, or contacting Leeds City Council's Safeguarding team. Further information can be found in the 'Advocacy for care and support' and 'Safeguarding adults' pages in the Related Pages section.

Find out how the Equality Act and the Mental Capacity Act protect your rights to be treated fairly, and make your own decisions wherever possible.

When things go wrong with social care

At times, things may go wrong with your care. you may find that:

  • you disagree with a decision about your care
  • you disagree with the outcomes of an assessment
  • you believe standards or quality of care have been poor
  • you believe the amount of care you have got has not been enough
  • you believe the costs of care are unfair
  • you feel that staff have behaved badly or inappropriately

However, you should be actively involved in the care and support process - for example, during the assessment and in developing the care and support plan. The council must attempt to reasonably agree and course of action with you and anyone else you request. You should make the council aware of anything that you are not happy with during these discussions.

Give feedback on care services

If you have been using homecare services, a care home or a nursing home, you can leave good or negative feedback on their services. These comments will be publicly available on the service's online profile and they will be asked to publicly respond to the comments. You can also visit Care Opinion​ to  provide feedback.

However, if that doesn't get a result, you may wish to make a formal complaint. A link to our complaints procedure can be found on our compliments and complaints page in the Related Pages section. This should be your first step in trying to address what has gone wrong. Friends and relatives may be able to help you with a complaint, as can the Citizen's Advice Bureau and many other charities.

If you have been seriously abused, you should call the police. You may want to speak to the council's Safeguarding Team. The 'Safeguarding adults' page can be found in the Related Pages section.

If your complaint is about a private or voluntary care provider, contact the Care Quality Commission​.

Information we may collect about you

You can find details about how Leeds City Council control the information we hold about you on our Privacy notice page.

Request access to your social care records

You can request access to your social care records by making a Subject Access Request.​​​​​​​​

Social Care Quality Account for Commissioned Regulated Services 2017

Our latest Social Care Quality Account for Commissioned Regulated Services 2017 document (PDF 1.2MB) is available to read online.​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?