This page tell you how we can help you if you can't pay your Council Tax.
We can help
Don’t wait to get a Reminder, Summons or visit from a Bailiff, as things will only get worse and you will end up with costs and fees to pay on top of your Council Tax. We can help, so please contact us now!
Council Tax is a ‘priority debt’, along with rent, mortgage, gas, electricity, maintenance and court fines. This means it must be paid before ‘non-priority debts’, which are credit or store cards, unsecured personal loans, bank overdrafts, credit / interest-free / hire purchase agreements, catalogue debts and money borrowed from family and friends.
Contact us at the earliest opportunity, by telephone, email, letter or in person:
- Online - go to the email link in Contact Us and fill in the online form
- Telephone - 0113 222 4404 (Mon - Fri 8.00am to 6.00pm)
- Email - email@example.com
- By Post - Leeds City Council, Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 60, Leeds, LS2 8JR
- In Person - Visit your nearest one stop centre, to find location go to Where I Live and enter your postcode
Also for contact information see 'Contacting the Council Tax office' in the downloads section.
What we can do
We can offer arrangements to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly, and may be able to extend your payments over a longer period.
We are working in partnership with local independent advice agencies who offer help and free advice. For more information and a list of local independent advice agencies, go to the related pages section and see ‘Serious Debt Problems & Debt Advice’ or see th “Overcoming financial difficulty” booklet in the documents section.