What if you can't pay your Council Tax?
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

What if you can't pay your Council Tax?

This page tells you how we can help you if you can't pay your Council Tax.

Don’t wait to get a Reminder, Summons or visit from a Bailiff, as things will only get worse and you will end up with costs and fees to pay on top of your Council Tax. 

We can help, so please contact us now

Council Tax is a ‘priority debt’, along with rent, mortgage, gas, electricity, maintenance and court fines. This means it must be paid before ‘non-priority debts’, which are credit or store cards, unsecured personal loans, bank overdrafts, credit / interest-free / hire purchase agreements, catalogue debts and money borrowed from family and friends.

Contact us

Contact us at the earliest opportunity, by telephone, email, letter or in person:

  • Online - go to the email link in Contact Us and fill in the online form but please remember to provide your name, full address and phone number.
  • Telephone - 0113 222 4404 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
  • By Post - Leeds City Council, Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 60, Leeds, LS2 8JR
  • In Person - Visit your nearest one stop centre, to find location go to Where I Live and enter your postcode

What we can do to help you

We can offer arrangements to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly, and may be able to extend your payments over a longer period.

Further information

We are working in partnership with local independent advice agencies who offer help and free advice. For more information and a list of local independent advice agencies, see our Serious Debt Problems & Debt Advice page or our Help with managing your money booklet (PDF 624KB).​​​​​​​

Did you find the information you were looking for?