This page will tell you what could happen if you don't pay your Council Tax and how we can help you if you can't pay.
If you are behind with your Council Tax instalments
If you are behind with your Council Tax instalments, we will send a reminder. If you pay as shown on the reminder and then keep your instalments up to date, we won’t have to take any further action. However, if you don’t pay the amount shown by the date given, Council Tax law says we must send a summons. This adds extra costs to your bill.
If you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax bill please see the related page What if you can't pay your Council Tax.
If you have received a Court Summons
If you receive a summons, please call us to discuss this on 0113 398 4732.
If you have received a Court Summons and we are granted a Liability Order against you by the Magistrates', the Order will give us certain powers that we can use to obtain payment. However, we would rather make a suitable payment arrangement with you than use those powers.
Please see the related page If you have received a Council Tax summons which tells you the important things you need to know.
Liability Order - resulting actions we can take
The powers we can use once a Liability Order has been granted include:
- Financial Information Form - We may send you this form for you to tell us about your finances;
- Attachment Order - We can arrange for money to be taken from your pay or benefit, this is called making an Attachment Order;
- Bailiffs - we can send bailiffs to your property to take away some of your possessions;
- Bankruptcy - We can apply to make you bankrupt;
- Charging Order - We can apply for a Charging Order, if you own your own home;
- Prison - we can ask the court to send you to prison.
Liability Order - Further Information
For more information about Attachments, Bailiffs and other recovery actions we can take after a Liability Order is granted, see the related page Council Tax - what happens after court.
How to contact us
Please see the 'contact us' section on this page for our up-to-date contact details.
Debt Problems - where to get advice
If you are having serious debt problems, please see the related page Serious debt problems and debt advice. Please also see the external links section for links to other money and debt advice websites which give help and advice to people in debt.