Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Register a Stillbirth

Booking an appointment

If you suffer a stillbirth in Leeds, you must call 0113 2224408 to make a priority appointment. We will make every effort to find an appointment that is convenient for you. If we have not covered your special circumstances, please contact us for more information.

Where can I register a still-birth?

You can register a stillbirth at one of the following One Stop Centres - 2 Great George Street, Armley, Chapeltown, Dewsbury Road, Garforth, Harehills, Middleton, Morley, Otley, Pudsey, Rawdon, Rothwell and Wetherby. Please see the documents section for addresses and opening times.

You can also register a still-birth in any other Register Office in England and Wales. The Registrar will send the details on to us, although this may delay the funeral.

Who can register a still-birth?

If the parents are married to each other

  •  Either the baby’s mother or father.
If the parents are not married to each other
  • The mother
  • The mother and father together

Please note that if the parents are not married to each other at the time of the birth we can only enter the father's details on the birth certificate if he comes with the mother to register the still-birth. If you want the father's details to be entered and he cannot attend the appointment please call us on 0113 224408.

What do I need to bring?

You must bring the medical certificate issued by the doctor/midwife. Without this certificate the Registrar will not be able to register the still-birth. If the stillbirth has been reported to the Coroner’s Office they will advise you what to do.

How much does it cost?

The Registrar will give you a free certificate of registration (this will show the baby's full name, sex, date of birth, district of birth and the name of the informant). The Registrar will also provide you with a copy of a full stillbirth certificate at a cost of £4.

What other documents will I receive?

The Registrar will give you a “White form 118”. This is for arranging the funeral. It needs to be given to the funeral directors. If the stillbirth was referred to the coroner he may already have given this form to the funeral directors.

What if I need an interpreter?

We can provide an interpreter for you if English is not your first language. Or you may bring a friend or relative to help interpret.

Top Tasks

follow us:

  • twitter