This service is for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities age 2-19. Children and young people are referred to the service by a health or educational professional only. More information on all the services is available from the documents and related pages sections.
If you need advice or support about any education issue related to SEN and disability, you can contact the Leeds SEND Information Advice and Support Service (formerly Parent Partnership Service) on 0113 3951200.
Support for children age birth to 3
Portage is a home visiting service provided through Barnardo's to support a young child with SEN and disabilities and the family. Portage Home Visitors work with the family to set both short and long term developmental goals.
Support for children age 2 to 5
Specialist teachers and inclusion workers support the development and learning needs of children age 2 to 5 years by:
- providing targeted support for individual children; assessments and personalized learning programmes
- working alongside staff in early years settings providing advice, support and training
- sharing practical ideas and resources with parents and carers
- submitting funding applications to support children’s inclusion in the pre-school setting (dependent on criteria)
Some 2 year old children with SEND may be able to access a Free Early Education Entitlement (FEEE).
Support for school age children and young people
Specialist teachers work in schools with pupils who are experiencing difficulties with their learning and inclusion workers provide support to schools for children with social and emotional difficulties to raise pupil’s achievement by:
- providing assessments of learning and social and emotional skills
- providing targeted support to individual children
- advising on interventions and resources that are focused on raising attainment
- providing advice on strategies to support pupils with specific and general learning difficulties
- supporting children and young people to improve their relationships and understand their feelings and control their behaviour.
- delivering a variety of training courses to staff
You can email us at email@example.com