Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Smoke control areas

Use this page to report a bonfire and find out about smoke control areas in Leeds.

Smoke control areas

A large number of areas in Leeds are controlled by smoke control orders. You can check whether your house is in a smoke control area by using the 'Find my nearest' function on this page. Please input your postcode before clicking Search.

Alternatively, please email us by using the Contact us form in this page. Please provide your full address including postcode. We aim to respond to your enquiry within 5 working days.

Areas not subject to restrictions about what they can burn are usually in the former industrial parts of the city and some of the more outlying areas. Importantly, smoke control areas do not prevent occasional bonfires or restrict what they can burn however, if a bonfire is causing a nuisance you can report this to us by using the Contact Us form on this page.


Fuels and appliances in smoke control areas

The fuels that can be burned in smoke control areas are governed by Defra as is installed equipment. When you purchase a stove or other solid fuel appliance the installer should check where you live and give some guidance on whether the equipment you wish to purchase is appropriate.

Full details of the fuels and appliances can be found on the Defra website, a link to which is provided in the External links section on this page.​​​​​​​​


We can investigate bonfires that cause a nuisance on commercial premises and on domestic land, such as the garden of a house. You can report these problem bonfires to us by using the Contact Us form on this page. Please include your contact details and provide the address of where the bonfire is.​

Find my nearest