Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

There are no related pages available for the current page. If you are looking for specific page, please try the AtoZ council services.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Skips on the Highway

​If you wish to place a skip on the public footway, verge or carriageway you will need to get a licence.

If you ask a skip company to provide the skip for you they will normally get the licence.

You must give at least three working days notice when you apply for a skip licence. Licences last for a maximum of one month. If you already have a licence and wish to extend it, you must put a further application in before the licence runs out.

We will only stop people parking in residential parking areas or parking meter bay(s) for a skip if there is no practical alternative site.

Before placing a skip on the public footway, verge or carriageway you should inspect the area. If there is any existing damage you should report it on 0113 2477526. If you do not do this we will consider that the highway was in good order before the skip was delivered and you will be charged for repairs to any damage reported.

To apply for a licence, please print off the application form from the link on this page. Fill it in and send it with your payment to the address on the form. Or to make a payment by phone please contact the Network Support Team on 0113 2477526​.

If you are a skip company who has not placed skips in the Leeds Metropolitan District before or if you are interested in setting up an account to allow you to send fax applications, please contact us on 0113 2477526 for more information.

Please fax applications to 0113 2477018 or e-mail us from the link on this page.

After we get your application form we will give you a skip licence number and you will be able to place your skip on the highway subject to any conditions contained in the licence.

It is an offence to place a skip on the public highway without a licence. If you do not get a licence or follow the licence conditions for a skip on the highway (footpath, verge or carriageway) you will be prosecuted.