Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Single Person Discount

This page tells you when you can get a Single Person Discount, and how to claim this discount.
If  you have been granted this discount it will be on  your bill.
When you live alone, or are the only person over 18 who has their sole or main residence at your address, you are entitled to a 25% Single Person Discount’. 
If someone moves out of the address temporarily, a discount does not always apply, even when only one person remains, as we have to consider whether their main residence has changed.

For example :
If a couple share a property but one partner moves out for three months to work abroad, the remaining partner won’t usually qualify for a discount. This is because the home address is still classed as the absent partner’s main residence.
For more information see the related page How your sole or main residence affects your Council Tax.
You need to tell us if someone over the age of 18 moves into your property so we can cancel your discount. 
How to claim or cancel a Single Person Discount
You can claim or cancel a single person discount using the online form in Top Tasks on this page.

Does the council check up on single person discount claims?

Yes. The Council is committed to detecting discount fraud and regularly checks discounts claimed. We have access to a wide range of financial, electoral, housing and benefit information to help us prevent and detect single person discount fraud. Reducing fraudulent claims helps us to keep Council Tax increases lower.

If I think someone is claiming a Council Tax discount fraudulently

There are a number of ways you can tell us. You can do it anonymously, but if you do give your name we will keep it confidential. We have trained and experienced staff who can advise you if you are unsure about whether to tell us what you suspect. You can:

-write to us at Council Tax, PO Box 60, 2 Great George Street, Leeds, LS2 8JR;
-email us using the “Contact Us” link.
-ring us on 0113 222 4404.

It’s important that you give us as much information as possible as this helps us to gather enough evidence to cancel the discount. Due to the Data Protection Act (1998) and Human Rights Act (1998), we can’t tell you what we’ve done about a case you have reported, but we will investigate all reports and take suitable action.

I am a single parent living with my son. He’s 18 and a student. Can I get a Single Person Discount?

No, because you are not the only adult resident. But if he is a full-time student, you can claim a Student Discount for him, which is also 25%. You can make an online claim or download a claim form, and will need to provide proof of their student status. ​

My wife works abroad. She’s been home about 4 weeks this year. Can I get a Single Person Discount?

​Usually no, because her ‘sole or main residence’ is still regarded as being at the marital home. But we need to know more about the circumstances, so you should contact the Council Tax office.​​​

Can I claim another Council Tax discount?

There are other discounts available such as reductions for disabled people and full time students For more information see the related page Apply for a council tax reduction.