Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Settlement checking service

If you are planning to settle in the UK as the husband, wife or partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here, your application and supporting documents can be checked by one of our experienced advisors.

The service helps you to get your application correct first time and avoids unnecessary delays.

Local authority staff are trained and registered to check and forward your application to the Home Office. Valuable important documents, such as passports, marriage and birth certificates, will remain in your safekeeping. Certified copies of your original documents will be despatched to the UK Visa and Immigration section of the Home Office via secure mail.

Please call 0113 222 4408 if you would like to make an appointment. We will take your contact details and a qualified advisor will call you within 10 working days to book your appointment.​​

Who can use the service?

You can only use the settlement checking service if you are applying on form SET(M) for settlement in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here.

Link to GOV.UK where you can download the form and guidance notes

What does it cost and how do I pay?

It is £100 per adult application.

You will need to pay the checking fee when we call to make your appointment. This is a non-refundable fee.

In addition to our checking fee you will also need to pay the Home Office for processing your application. We will forward your payment to the Home Office with your application.

Home Office fees may be paid by a credit/debit card or a cheque made payable to 'The Home Office Leave to Remain'. We cannot send cash to the Home Office.

Where will my appointment be?

Leeds Register Office
City Centre One Stop
2 Great George Street
LS2 8BA​

How can I get more advice about settlement?

We cannot provide advice on settlement matters. You should contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766. Lines are open from 9am to 4:45pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4:30pm Friday (excluding Public holidays).​​

Did you find the information you were looking for?

follow us:

  • twitter