School governor support
Leeds City Council’s vision is to become a child friendly city where children are valued, supported, enjoy growing up, and look forward to a bright future. Effective governance is a vital component of strong school leadership which ensures every child gets the best education.
Purpose of the service
The aim of Governor Support Service is to develop strong, accountable governing bodies, made up of highly skilled, well-informed, well-trained governors, who ensure statutory duties are met, set a standard of excellence, are focussed on improving teaching and learning and understand the city’s priorities for children and young people.
The range of services we offer include:
- support, advice and information about governors’ responsibilities and effectiveness
- a full clerking service to school governing bodies
- an annual school governors’ training programme
- tailored courses for individual governing bodies
- a termly newsletter and regular email updates
What skills and experience do governors need?
The regulations advise that all governors should have the skills required to contribute to effective governance and the success of the school. The specific skills that governing bodies need to meet their particular challenges will vary. However, experience has shown that all governors need:
- a strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children
- the inquisitiveness to question and analyse
- the willingness to learn
- good inter-personal skills
- appropriate levels of literacy in English (unless a governing body is prepared to make special arrangements),
- sufficient numeracy skills to understand basic data
- the willingness to attend appropriate training
What is the time commitment?
The average is 10-15 hours per term; this includes attending meetings, background reading and school visits.
Being a governor is a public duty and governors have a right to reasonable time off work, although this may be without pay. You should look at your company’s policy to see what entitlement you have.
Apply to become a governor
If you would like to apply to become a governor we would be delighted to hear from you. Please complete the on-line application form on this page or contact us on 0113 3950225 or email us via the ‘contact us’ button below. For more information.