Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Residents in a care home, hostel or hospital

If someone moves out of their home to live in a residential care home, hospital or certain type of hostel, we may be able to grant a Council Tax discount at their own home address.  The person’s main residence must be in the care home, hospital or hostel.  To help decide this, we look at whether the person has an intention to return home, amongst other things.

Does an exemption apply?

Sometimes - if nobody else lives at the person's own home address, we may be able to grant an exemption if the person in the care home is the owner or tenant of the unoccupied property.

How to claim this discount or exemption

To apply for the discount or exemption, go to the Documents section and download the application form.

In line with Data Protection law, we may use information you give us to prevent or detect fraud or other crimes.  We may also share it with other council services or public organisations if they need it in order to carry out their legal duties.